Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find single quote in a string and replace it Post 302468548 by yogichavan on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 06:19:15 AM
Old 11-03-2010
find single quote in a string and replace it

Hi,

I have variable inside shell script - from_item.
from_item = 40.1'1/16

i have to first find out whether FROM_ITEM contains single quote(').
If yes, then that need to be replace with two quotes ('').

How to do it inside shell script? Please note that inside shell script........

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace part of single string in a file

hi! i have a file consisting of the following lines: (BTW, = space) . . . 12ME_T1mapping_flip30bshortf 13DCE_whole_brainbshortf 13DCE_3Dbshortf . . . the list of scans starts at 1 and goes on sometimes up to 60 scans. i would like to change only the lines that contain 'whole' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixjennings
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string in quote to uppercase

Hi, I need to find all strings in single quote and change the case of the string to UPPER. Example: Input: xyz abc ccc 'zxxx7U' dfsdf sdfdd aaa 'oR77' and 'or88' Output: xyz abc ccc 'ZXXX7U' dfsdf sdfdd aaa 'OR77' and 'OR88' Appreciate your help!! Thanks Selva (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: selkum
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a single quote using sed command.

Hi, How do I replace the charachters = '*' to = '^' using Sed commands. As I have several * in the script, thus I have to replace the single quotes too. Please let me know any solution. I have tried the escape character backslash '\' but it doesnt help. sed "s/= \'*\'/=... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachifun
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple strings and replace single string

Hi, following Perl code i used for finding multiple strings and replace with single string. code: #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.txt>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr = ',rdata\)' | ',,rdata\)' | ', ,rdata\)'; my $replaceStr =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Enclose String in single quote

I have a comma separated file which contains data like; File header: ID_WVR,SAK_WVR_SVC,DSC_WVR_WVC,SAK_PROCEDURE,CODES,CDE_PROC_MOD ,CDE_PROC_MOD_2 ,CDE_PROC_MOD_3 File Detail: AMR,5100,Total Services,305,D0120,,, AMR,5101,Periodic Services,40702,H2011,U1,, AMR,5112,Day... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to split string on single quote as delimiter

I have a variable that contains the following string: FPATH=-rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 7 13:14 /app/F11.3/app/cust/exe/filename1.exe' -rw-rw-r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 19 10:09 /app/app/F11.3/app/cust/sql/33211.sql' -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 dba 0 Aug 6 17:20 /app/F11.2/app/01/mrt/file1.mrt' I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
ESCAPESHELLARG(3)							 1							 ESCAPESHELLARG(3)

escapeshellarg - Escape a string to be used as a shell argument

SYNOPSIS
string escapeshellarg (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
escapeshellarg(3) adds single quotes around a string and quotes/escapes any existing single quotes allowing you to pass a string directly to a shell function and having it be treated as a single safe argument. This function should be used to escape individual arguments to shell functions coming from user input. The shell functions include exec(3), system(3) and the backtick operator. On Windows, escapeshellarg(3) instead removes percent signs, replaces double quotes with spaces and adds double quotes around the string. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The argument that will be escaped. RETURN VALUES
The escaped string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 escapeshellarg(3) example <?php system('ls '.escapeshellarg($dir)); ?> SEE ALSO
escapeshellcmd(3), exec(3), popen(3), system(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group ESCAPESHELLARG(3)