Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting characters within a file Post 302467879 by puttster on Sunday 31st of October 2010 09:48:11 PM
Old 10-31-2010
Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file.
Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's that are within the contents of my file.
q=`grep -c "Y" file`

What I am really trying to do is break apart the contents of a string and set my delimiter as the character that separates my string with other parameters within the same string ( * is my delimiter ) Is there a way to find out at which position a specific character is located at in a specific string?
For Example,

Lets say I do a character count of a, which is 11... now what I was thinking about doing is I could count the characters before my * and then set that equal to a variable of some sorts... hmm

a="hello*there"
I want to find out where the * is.

(This is me just playing with unix shell, I hope someone understands my gibberish! )

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Dears, I would like to count the number of "(" and ")" that occur in a file. (syntax checking script). I tried to use "grep -c" and this works fine as long as there is only one character (for which I do a search) on a line. Has anyone an idea how I can count the number of specific characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters between comma's

I have a comma delimited file that roughly has 300 fields. Not all fields are populated. This file is fed into another system, what I need to do is count the amount of characters in each field and give me an output similiar to this: 1 - 6,2 - 25 The first number is the field and the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the blank line in a file and counting the characters....

Hi, I am trying to do two things in my script. I will really appreciate any help in this regards. Is there a way to delete a last line from a pipe delimited flat file if the last line is blank. If the line is not blank then do nothing..... Is there a way to count a word that are starting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Hi All, I need some help in counting the number of letters in a big file with separations. Following is the file I have >AB_1 MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking characters and counting them

Nevermind, I figured out a way using the sed command. But I forget the basic way of counting characters within a variable :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting 2 characters with into 2 categories from a text file

I have a tab delimited file of the following format 2 L a 2 G b 2 L c 2 G a 3 G a 3 G b 3 L c 4 L a 4 G a 4 G b 4 L c 4 G a .. ... I want to count the number of G's and L's with in the first column and the third column/categories such that I would get an output file: (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters at each position

Hi All, here's a question from newbie I have a data like this, which set of small DNA sequences separated by new line GAATCCGGAAACAGCAACTTCAAANCA GTNATTCGGGCCAAACTGTCGAA TTNGGCAACTGTTAGAGCTCATGCGACA CCTGCTAAACGAGTTCGAGTTGAANGA TTNCGGAAGTGGTCGCTGGCACGG ACNTGCATGTACGGAGTGACGAAACCI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amits22
6 Replies
STRSEP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRSEP(3)

NAME
strsep, stresep -- separate strings LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strsep(char **stringp, const char *delim); char * stresep(char **stringp, const char *delim, int escape); DESCRIPTION
The strsep() function locates, in the nul-terminated string referenced by *stringp, the first occurrence of any character in the string delim (or the terminating '' character) and replaces it with a ''. The location of the next character after the delimiter character (or NULL, if the end of the string was reached) is stored in *stringp. The original value of *stringp is returned. An ``empty'' field, i.e., one caused by two adjacent delimiter characters, can be detected by comparing the location referenced by the pointer returned by strsep() to ''. If *stringp is initially NULL, strsep() returns NULL. The stresep() function also takes an escape character that allows quoting the delim- iter character so that it can be part of the source string. EXAMPLES
The following uses strsep() to parse a string, containing tokens delimited by white space, into an argument vector: char **ap, *argv[10], *inputstring; for (ap = argv; ap < &argv[9] && (*ap = strsep(&inputstring, " ")) != NULL;) { if (**ap != '') ap++; } HISTORY
The strsep() function is intended as a replacement for the strtok() function. While the strtok() function should be preferred for portabil- ity reasons (it conforms to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89'')) it is unable to handle empty fields, i.e., detect fields delimited by two adja- cent delimiter characters, or to be used for more than a single string at a time. The strsep() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
August 12, 2006 BSD