Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with if-else construct
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with if-else construct Post 302467876 by agama on Sunday 31st of October 2010 08:55:25 PM
Old 10-31-2010
Here's an example that might help you out a bit. Not the complete answer, but enough to get you started:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

# present the question, four choices then read and compare the answer with 
# the last parm (correct choice). increases the proper counter based on the selection. 
function ask
{
        typeset ans=""

echo "$1"
        echo "a) $2"
        echo "b) $3"
        echo "c) $4"
        echo "d) $5"

while true
        do
                printf "Enter your answer: "
                read ans
                case $ans in
                        a|b|c|d)
                                if [[ $ans == $6 ]]
                                then
                                        correct_tally=$(( correct_tally + 1 ))
                                else
                                        incorrect_tally=$(( incorrect_tally + 1 ))
                                fi
                                q=$(( $q + 1 ))
                                return
                                ;;

A|B|C|D)
                                echo "your caps-lock seems to be on; please use lowercase letters"
                                ;;

*)      echo "invalid response, please try again"
                                ;;
                esac
        done

}

q=0
nquestions=5
while (( $q < $nquestions ))
do
        case $q in
                0)      ask "London is in which country?" "United States" "China" "Canada" "England" "d";;
                1)      ask "The sky is what colour?" blue green grey orange a;;
                2)      ask "Insects have how many legs?" 3 6 9 12 b;;
                3)      ask "Which is the only fruit with the seeds on the outside?" strawberry bananna orange lime a;;
                4)      ask "Which month has just 28 days?" January March February May c;;
        esac
done

echo "your score: $correct_tally correct; $incorrect_tally wrong"

exit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with looping construct

Hi all I have tried to search for this, but keep getting a MySQL db connect error, so am posing the question here, and taking a risk of incurring the wrath of the mods with my first post... I have the following test script: #!/bin/bash HTTPD=`/bin/ps -axcu | /usr/bin/grep httpd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikie
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh construct

Hi Guys, could someone tell me what this ksh construct does typeset -r PROG_PWD=${0%/*} does I understand the -r for readonly but I would very much appreciate a definitive account of what this will set $PROG_PWD to. If I run this at the cmd line it it gets set to /usr/bin but I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if-else construct not working

Hi all, Sorry to ask this easy question but I am stuck. In a scenario i am executing one shell script which contains a if - else construct : if ; then echo $line $line >> successful_build.txt else $line >> failed_services.txt fi explaination : if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in the if construct

Hi can anyone tell me why is this code giving error mode=$1 if ] || ] then echo "MODES:" exit 1 fi Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

construct a string with X number of spaces

I'd like to create a variable with the value of X number of space( no Perl please), printf seems to work, but , in following example,10 spaces becomes 1 space when assinged to a variable, Why? other solutions are welcome. $printf "=%10s=\n" = = $var=$(printf "=%10s=\n") echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk construct unfamiliar to me

Please help me out: I've seen this construct awk '{...}1'several times, like in scrutinizer's today's post awk '{for(i=2;i<=NF;i++)if($i==$1)$i=RS $i}1' infilebut I can't find (manuals, man pages, internet FAQs,...) an explanation of what it does resp. stands for. Any hint is appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Construct path

Hi, I need to construct the below path from the two available directory path, O/P /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/HTML /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/JSP /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/CSS Path:1 ------ /home/data/test/run/ Path:2 ------ /home/data/share/app/01/lang/ht/WEB/HTML... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop; how to construct a array with variables

Hi everybody!! Here is the thing; I have a trouble in this simple situation, I'm trying to write an array with all the arguments of a command. I mean, if I have: ./mycommand.sh aa bb cc dd I need to take an array like this: myarray=(aa bb cc dd) So I use a simple for loop like this: for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresgom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special IF construct syntax in UNIX

Hi, I don't understand && and || in this context. I thought && is for logical 'AND' and || is for logical 'OR'. && echo "Not empty" || echo "Empty" Please help Thank You (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement?

Hi all, I thought this would be simple, but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to write this IF statement, if I may ask for help pls: In BASH, how would I construct the if statement: Should ONLY be true if USEROPTscript=="yes"]] AND $mode=="INSTALL" /or/ $mode=="CHANGE" ]]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmccoughlin
3 Replies
MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)													       MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)

mssql_num_fields - Gets the number of fields in result

SYNOPSIS
int mssql_num_fields (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
mssql_num_fields(3) returns the number of fields in a result set. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of fields, as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_num_fields(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database $link = mssql_connect('KALLESPCSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php', $link); // Select some data from our database $data = mssql_query('SELECT [name], [age] FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct a table echo '<table border="1">'; $header = false; // Iterate through returned results while ($row = mssql_fetch_array($data)) { // Build the table header if (!$header) { echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; for ($i = 1; ($i + 1) <= mssql_num_fields($data); ++$i) { echo '<td>' . ucfirst($row[$i]) . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; echo '<tbody>'; $header = true; } // Build the row echo '<tr>'; foreach($row as $value) { echo '<td>' . $value . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; } // Close table echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Clean up mssql_free_result($data); mssql_close($link); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_query(3), mssql_fetch_field(3), mssql_num_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)