Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Should I learn bash scripting or is it going obsolete? Post 302467833 by Corona688 on Sunday 31st of October 2010 01:35:41 PM
Old 10-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl
wait so you cant use python within linux to substitute shell scripting?
Python is not a shell, no.

You can use pipes in Python, much the same way you use pipes in C -- doing everything yourself, creating processes and creating pipes and redirecting file descriptors explicitly all the time, step by painful step.

Python has instead become a twelve-ton all-singing all-dancing do-everything language with every possible feature nailed to the side so you theoretically don't need an efficient way to use anything outside Python, with the side-effect that it opens hundreds of files to do nothing at all, much like Perl, Java, and .Net have done. It even has expansion modules to just call a proper UNIX shell.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-31-2010 at 02:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is a good place to learn basic shell scripting? Thanks!

See the title. Originally wasn't going to type anything but I need a message of at least 10 characters! :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deutchap6verse5
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Programming/Scripting Languages To Learn

Which languages would, in the long run, be best to learn on a UNIX environment for kernel work, every day programs, and overall UNIX programming? I've been learning C for over a year now (which I'm pretty confident with) and decided I want to look into some other languages. I'll mainly be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjinr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- To learn shell scripting

Hello all, Could any one let me know where to find exercises(problems to solve) both simple and complex ones that would eventually help me learn Shell scripting.I'm just a beginner:o in shell scripting but would love to learn more.. Thanks, Triji (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tj23
2 Replies

4. Gentoo

cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2 first, i want to explain some things. I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any book to learn perl scripting

Hi, Please suggest me any good book to learn pearl scripting. Thanks in advance !!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkvishwakarma6
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

My PM has told me to learn shell scripting in 2 weeks , how should I start?

My PM has told me to learn shell scrting in 2 weeks , how should I start?:confused::confused::confused::confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

LEARN SHELL SCRIPTING BASICS

I am beginner to the SHELL SCRIPT and want to Learn SHELL SCRIPT Basics. This thread should help to all beginners who want to learn SHELL SCRIPT *** Thanks in advance to those who will contribute on this thread *** Please guide me and all beginners... 1. Is there any good e-book... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarsbhandare
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Books to learn UNIX Scripting from Scratch

Hi All, I am quite new to UNIX Scripting and want to learn it from scratch, a book which gives lot of examples, how to troubleshoot, how to run etc.. would be great. Need help from all the experts out there to suggest one book to start with. Regards, Vikas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_chengdu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learn bash shell scripting

I do not know shell scripting. But at work place, I have got an in and out shell scripting task. I just need to understand a very big script. Is there any tool in which I can place the script and it can tell me the meaning of the whole script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to learn UNIX shell scripting?

Hi Guys, I know basic command of unix and basic programming of unix as like using for loop, while loop, if..else, case statement etc. then how to learn unix shell scripting as well as use also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
1 Replies
DH_PYTHON(1)							     Debhelper							      DH_PYTHON(1)

NAME
dh_python - calculates Python dependencies and adds postinst and prerm Python scripts (deprecated) SYNOPSIS
dh_python [debhelperoptions] [-n] [-V version] [moduledirs...] DESCRIPTION
Note: This program is deprecated. You should use dh_python2 instead. This program will do nothing if debian/pycompat or a Python-Version control file field exists. dh_python is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${python:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files. It will also add a postinst and a prerm script if required. The program will look at Python scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on python, with the current major version, or on pythonX.Y if your scripts or modules need a specific python version. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${python:Depends}. If some modules need to be byte-compiled at install time, appropriate postinst and prerm scripts will be generated. If already byte- compiled modules are found, they are removed. If you use this program, your package should build-depend on python. OPTIONS
module dirs If your package installs Python modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_python check those directories by passing their names on the command line. By default, it will check /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/$PACKAGE, /usr/lib/games/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/games/$PACKAGE and /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages. Note: only /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages and the extra names on the command line are searched for binary (.so) modules. -V version If the .py files your package ships are meant to be used by a specific pythonX.Y version, you can use this option to specify the desired version, such as 2.3. Do not use if you ship modules in /usr/lib/site-python. -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.5.7 Python policy, version 0.3.7 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> most ideas stolen from Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> 9.20120909 2011-12-06 DH_PYTHON(1)