Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers When the run level is changed from 5 to 3? Post 302467790 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 31st of October 2010 10:07:38 AM
Old 10-31-2010
It is homework.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Find run-level in solaris 8.

When the solaris 8 have come up, which command can find out the current run-level? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nianzhe
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Confusion In run level...

Dear Friends..!! i am quit confused about the SOLARIES RUN level that is 0 . 1 or s S ... please let me know the diffirence between these run level ... 0,1 and s S... have a great day Uday naikwadi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udayn
1 Replies

3. SuSE

Run Level Services file

Hello, I recently updated a test system from Suse 8 to 9.3. Now our runlevel services program doesn't work, but works fine on our other 9.3 boxes. We have a file in /etc/init.d/rc3.d called S99fooprog(not actual name ofcourse). It just has a command to start a program daemon up. Anyways... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Run Level 1, S and small s

Hi Experts, A stupid question for experts :confused: !! What is the difference between run level ‘1', runlevel ‘S' and small ‘s'. As per my understanding the difference between S and 1 is that in case of ‘S' it only going to mount the critical file system which ideal should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to get the initdefault run level in Solaris 10

Hi All, In Solaris 9 and below I will get the init run-level by checking the /etc/inittab entry is:3:initdefault: But in Solaris 10 we are using the smf functionality. Here how I can get the init default run level. Please help me in this problem. Regards, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script when a file is modified/time stamp changed

Hi, I need to run a script file which uses a file and that file is modified as and when some alarms generated, it is not based on any fixed time period.. it may be modified even once in a minute for some time and once in 30 min or once in 20 min. Hence i need to watch for the timestamp change of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Run Level Modification

Hello, I'm creating a VM Image of Solaris 10 on VM Player. I've completed the installation & I am using the Java Desktop as my default logon. I need to modify the Run Level to Console Mode (permanently). Unlike previous versions or Linux, modifying inittab file is not an option here. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - what run level

Is there a way to tell what runlevel is currently being used, for example is a user is using the gui or is the have pressed Alt+Ctrl+F1 to drop to the terminal?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Change run level at boot

for solaris 11, how does one change the run level at boot from 3 to 2? i checked "/etc/inittab" file where i usually change it in other *nix but it seems solaris is not using it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badbanana
1 Replies
SETEUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SETEUID(2)

NAME
seteuid, setegid - set effective user or group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int seteuid(uid_t euid); int setegid(gid_t egid); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): seteuid(), setegid(): _BSD_SOURCE || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600 DESCRIPTION
seteuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. Unprivileged user processes may only set the effective user ID to the real user ID, the effective user ID or the saved set-user-ID. Precisely the same holds for setegid() with "group" instead of "user". RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The calling process is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability in the case of seteuid(), or the CAP_SETGID capability in the case of setegid()) and euid (respectively, egid) is not the real user (group) ID, the effective user (group) ID, or the saved set-user-ID (saved set-group-ID). CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Setting the effective user (group) ID to the saved set-user-ID (saved set-group-ID) is possible since Linux 1.1.37 (1.1.38). On an arbi- trary system one should check _POSIX_SAVED_IDS. Under libc4, libc5 and glibc 2.0 seteuid(euid) is equivalent to setreuid(-1, euid) and hence may change the saved set-user-ID. Under glibc 2.1 and later it is equivalent to setresuid(-1, euid, -1) and hence does not change the saved set-user-ID. Similar remarks hold for sete- gid(). According to POSIX.1, seteuid() (setegid()) need not permit euid (egid) to be the same value as the current effective user (group) ID, and some implementations do not permit this. SEE ALSO
geteuid(2), setresuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-10-17 SETEUID(2)