Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What are the two ways the hardware clock can be configured under Linux? Post 302467788 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 31st of October 2010 10:01:20 AM
Old 10-31-2010
Because - we have a forum for homework. You don't have to get cranky, just ask your homework questions over there. We will answer your question(s).

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

hardware (BIOS) clock

Guys could you please tell me which appropriate command is used to set hardware (BIOS) clock so that the system keeps time when it reboots & how it's used. I use Linux Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseph kembo
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

how to reset the hardware clock

Hi all Hi could anyone tell me how i can set the Hardware Clock to the System Time, and set the System Time from the Hardware Clock. i am using RHEL 4.0. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daya.pandit
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux on custom hardware

I would like to configure a bare minimum Linux with internet browser on a system with Flash & RAM (but no harddisk or any other nonvolatile storage). Please advise. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rherb
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to Find what HBA is configured on Linux?

Hi I am working in an environment where there are many redhat physical and virtual machines, mostly Redhat 4. These servers have LUNs attached. The external storage can be EMC, NetApp or Par3. My question is that when Storage Administrator informs that a new LUN has been presented to a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Linux application upgrade ways

Hello. I need upgrade memcached. This software is installed throuth yum. In official repositories isn`t newest version of memcached, but this one is vulnerable. So looks like I need built it from source, but I dont really want to install c libraries un compilers on system. 1.) So can I compile... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabalv
0 Replies

6. Hardware

Does this hardware works with Linux

Hello folks, I pretend acquire this hardware: 1-Motherboard Asus Skt1151 - H110M-A/M.2 (https://www.asus.com/pt/Motherboards...cifications/); 2-Intel i5 6400 2.7Ghz QuadCore Skt1151; or 2-Intel i5 6500 3.2Ghz QuadCore Skt1151; 3-Dimm 8GB DDR4 Kingston CL15 2133Mhz; Obvious I pretend... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enodev
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DHCP Issue Possibly due to Hardware Clock?

Hello All, OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) PC: CuBox-i (*mini-pc) The PC in question is a CuBox-i mini-pc. Since this PC doesn't have a battery, everytime the PC reboots the hardware clock is reset back to the same date every time, which is "2014-07-08 00:00". I have NTP configured... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies
clocks(2)							System Calls Manual							 clocks(2)

NAME
clock_settime(), clock_gettime(), clock_getres() - clock operations SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
clock_settime() The function sets the specified clock, to the value specified by Time values that are between two consecutive non-negative integer multi- ples of the resolution of the specified clock are truncated down to the smaller multiple of the resolution. clock_gettime() The function returns the current value for the specified clock, clock_getres() The resolution of any clock can be obtained by calling Clock resolutions are implementation defined and are not settable by a process. If the argument is not NULL, the resolution of the specified clock is stored into the location pointed to by If is NULL, the clock resolution is not returned. A clock may be system wide, that is, visible to all processes; or per-process, measuring time that is meaningful only within a process. The following clocks are supported: This clock represents the realtime clock for the system. For this clock, the values returned by and specified by represent the amount of time (in seconds and nanoseconds) since the Epoch. It is a system wide clock. The privilege is required to set this clock. Processes owned by the superuser have this privilege. Processes owned by other users may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. This clock represents the amount of time (in seconds and nanoseconds) that the calling process has spent executing code in the user's context. It is a per-process clock. It cannot be set by the user. This clock represents the amount of time (in seconds and nanoseconds) that the calling process has spent executing code in both the user's context and in the operating system on behalf of the calling process. It is a per-process clock. It cannot be set by the user. These clocks are high resolution hardware clocks present on HP-RT realtime systems. It is included here so that applications accessing this hardware can be compiled on HP-UX systems and then ported to an HP-RT target. HP-UX does not support or RETURN VALUE
A return of zero indicates that the call succeeded. A return value of -1 indicates that an error occurred, and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If any of the following conditions occur, the and functions return -1 and set (see errno(2)) to the corresponding value: The functions and are not supported by this implementation. The argument does not specify a known clock. The argument to is outside the range for the given The argument specified a nanosecond value less than zero or greater than or equal to 1000 million. The requesting process does not have the necessary privileges to set the specified clock. The or argument points to an invalid address. EXAMPLES
Advance the system wide realtime clock approximately one hour: Get the resolution of the user profiling clock: AUTHOR
and were derived from the proposed IEEE POSIX P1003.4 Standard, Draft 14. SEE ALSO
timers(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
clocks(2)