Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print each user at time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print each user at time Post 302467669 by pharyx on Saturday 30th of October 2010 05:38:22 PM
Old 10-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by testman84
I want to print each user at time and
I wrote :

cat /etc/passwd | grep "/home" | cut -d: -f > USERS
for USER in `cat USERS`
do
echo "$user"
done

but it didn't work

thanks
Useless use of cat here: cat /etc/passwd | grep "/home"
Code:
grep "/home" /etc/passwd

does the same.

As ygemic mentioned, have a look at the variable names in your for statement. You echoing an empty variable.

I don't know why you redirect the output to a file
Code:
grep "/home" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1

does what you want.
This User Gave Thanks to pharyx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print the date and time separately???

HI, I have a script where the date and time has to e printed separately as below date = "Wed Jan 16 2008" time = "14:17:57 IST" using date command gives me tho out put Wed Jan 16 14:17:57 IST 2008 i need only Wed Jan 16 2008 and 14:17:57 IST both stored in two different variables.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print files in a dir between the given time stamp

hi all, i want to print all the files in a directory. between a time stamp like $8>=07:00 and $8<=09:00. please give me commands not only in awk by any other commands also. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
3 Replies

3. AIX

Time Zone for a User Different From Server Time

Hi, A server runs on EDT. Can I set a user with time-zone GMT without changing the server time? regards, Roshni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print user password

Hi everyone. I have root acces to an Ubuntu machine. This machine have several users so, being root, I can access to their account without knowing their password, simply usingsudo su userBut I need to know the password of a specific user, so in this situation, is there a technique to know what is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print specific columns one row at a time

Hello, I have the following piece of code: roleName =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $1 }'` roleDescription =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $2 }'` roleAuthProfile =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $3 }'` mappedUserID (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pr0tocoldan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time duration of being online of a particular user given the user name

in a multi user system of 3 users X,Y,Z, if i know that X is presently online, is it possible to determine for how long has he been online? i mean the time duration (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print particular time upto the next occurance

Hi Guys, I am having some issue in one aspect. I am having data like - 00:00 X-1 Y-1 Z-4 A-5 E-6 . . . . 01:00 Z-9 X-1 Z-5 A-8 E-7 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniketdixit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two timestamps and print elapsed time

Hi, I am unable to Difference between two time stamps in Linux and display the total elapsed time . Source date: Aug 15, 2012 02:00:03 Target date: Aug 14, 2012 18:00:03 # based on the forums I am using the below function. Converted dates into this format Src_dt=20120814180003... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Datefield from rows to column + Print time diff

Hi Experts, Can you please help me in transposing Datefield from rows to column and calculate the time difference for each of the Jobids: Input File: 08/23/2012 12:36:09,JOB_5340 08/23/2012 12:36:14,JOB_5340 08/23/2012 12:36:22,JOB_5350 08/23/2012 12:36:26,JOB_5350 Required Output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)