Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recurring Permissions Voodoo
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Recurring Permissions Voodoo Post 302467656 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 30th of October 2010 05:00:49 PM
Old 10-30-2010
Things I see:

directory with @ <- extended information, this is not impossible just unusual

directories.files with + in the permissions mask have ACL's set. These can override the permissions mask, you know the rwxrwxrwx part. You may need to investigate your ACL's. It is possible to have ACL's completely 'undo' permissions for some users.

I do not like:
the directory called Caches has the sticky bit set - meaning any file written there will be owned by whoever wrote it. But not everybody can write to it. Makes no sense -- translation == 'voodoo' in your coined terms. In my terms the filesystem is probably corrupted.

Have you run fsck against your file systems? You mentioned what I perceive as non-standard tools.

I personally would would start with the tool that is designed to fix filesystems. fsck. Run it as root on dismounted filesystems.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some information concerning Unix permissions. I am new to Unix and am doing research for a graduate class. Given the permissions below, can anyone give me five unique exploits that would be available to a hacker/cracker given this configuaration? -rw-rw-rw- 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skeeter
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions

to prohibit 'others' from deleting files, what should we omit: write or execute? thx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

recurring run of sh script in crontab

Hello gurus. I have a problem: my crontab -e is looks like this: ORACLE_SID=bla-bla * 21 * * * (sqlplus hotback/hotback @/oracle/backups/bla-bla/scripts/hotback/daily_hotback.sql) 0 19 * * * /oracle/backups/dev10g/scripts/exports/daily_exports.sh 0 1 * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarGur
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to convert text files with recurring headings to rows and colum

I have many text file reports generated by a Information Assurance tool that I need to get into a .CSV format or Excel tab delimited format. I want to use sed or awk to grab all the information in the sample text file below and create column headings:Risk ID, Risk Level, Category, Description, How... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bjoeboo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the last line of an recurring pattern on the 3rd field

How can i awk/sed to print the last line of an recurring pattern on the 3rd field? Input lines: 123456.1 12 1357911 11111.1 01 123456.2 12 1357911 11111.2 02 123456.3 12 1357911 11111.3 03 123456.4 12 1357911 11111.4 04 123456.5 12 1357911 11111.5 05 246810.1 12 1357911 22222.1 01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to make simple recurring ascii file edit

Hi, I have an ascii file with recurring lines (the file is 36mb so lots of lines) which look like this: -2.5 -66.324-68.138 935.2 1.953 -0.664 272.617 73.684 -2.428 269.998 0.000 Every 14 lines there is a blank line. I would like to, for each non-blank line,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueade7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies
uucheck(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       uucheck(1M)

NAME
uucheck - check the uucp directories and permissions file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/uucp/uucheck [-v] [-x debug-level] DESCRIPTION
uucheck checks for the presence of the uucp system required files and directories. uucheck also does error checking of the Permissions file (/etc/uucp/Permissions). uucheck is executed during package installation. uucheck can only be used by the super-user or uucp. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -v Give a detailed (verbose) explanation of how the uucp programs will interpret the Permissions file. -x debug-level Produce debugging output on the standard output. debug-level is a number from 0 to 9. Higher numbers give more detailed debugging information. FILES
/etc/uucp/Devices /etc/uucp/Limits /etc/uucp/Permissions /etc/uucp/Systems /var/spool/locks/* /var/spool/uucp/* /var/spool/uucppublic/* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbnuu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uucp(1C), uustat(1C), uux(1C), uucico(1M), uusched(1M), attributes(5) BUGS
The program does not check file/directory modes or some errors in the Permissions file such as duplicate login or machine name. SunOS 5.10 18 May 1993 uucheck(1M)