Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending commands to a remote server Post 302467433 by DGPickett on Friday 29th of October 2010 11:03:54 AM
Old 10-29-2010
The -n is a speed up and simplification, as when there is no input stdin only output, ssh does not need to fork off a child or thread to watch stdin. Some commands get very confusing without it, like:
Code:
ssh2 somehost ls -lt /xyz | pg

Both 'ssh2' and 'pg' will be reading /dev/tty, so 'pg' will seem unresponsive half the time, because 'ssh2' does not know 'ls' does not read stdin.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending Commands to a Remote Host

I am trying to write a script that logs into an SMTP server and authenticates as a user or verifies that a user exists. I can do all this from the command line but I don't know how to write a script to do this for me, I login and then the script stops, I'm sure this is some basic principle. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: safetytrick
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands to copy a tar.gz file from a Remote Unix Server to Local Desktop.

Hi, Just wanted to know, how can I ftp/transfer/copy a (design.tar.gz) archive from a Unix Server (sdmc222.sdmc.cp-srv.com) which is at a remote location, to my Windows Desktop. Obviously, it is not possible at cmd prompt on my Windows using the following commands :- ftp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing commands in remote server using ssh

I have some commands which need to be executed in remote machine. I have Linux Server from where I need to connect to Solaris server using ssh and then declare some variable over there and run some commands. I don't want to call a script which is present in Solaris server from Linux server... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
7 Replies

5. Programming

Sending and Receiving data between Client, HTTP Proxy, and Remote Server

I am having problems receiving data from a remote server. It seems that I can send an HTTP request to any host such as http://www.google.com, but I can't get a reply. I'm sending the host a HTTP 1.0 request that is formatted as such: GET / HTTP/1.0 Host: http://www.google.com Connection:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubham92
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Commands on a Remote Linux Server over SSH

Hello, I'm trying to create a ksh script to ssh to a remote server, enter the password and a couple commands. For security reasons I have changed the login, password and ip in my example. #!/bin/ksh ssh -t -t username@12.5.5.3 << EOF password cd bin pwd EOF When I run it. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run commands on remote server using ssh password less authentication?

Hi, I need to run a script located in a directory on remote server by using ssh authentication from my local unix server. Can anyone help me in this. I have tried the below command. It worked for echo command but when i tried to open a file using cat command it is showing "cat: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh - running commands on remote server

Hi, I am trying to run commands on a list of servers that I can ssh to and just want to know if there is a 'cleaner' way of doing this. At the moment, I am doing as below. Is there a way that I can escape the double quote differently? If a use a single quote to enclose the commands that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute commands on remote server using expect script?

I need to copy python script file to around 100 servers using expect script. 1. Copy script to my user home first(/home/myhome) on each remote server 2. change permissions on copied file to 766. 3. sudo to appuser1 account on remote server. copy script file from my user home to /usr/bin/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
1 Replies
SHOWCONSOLE(8)						       The SuSE boot concept						    SHOWCONSOLE(8)

NAME
Showconsole - determines the underlying tty of stdin Setconsole - sets the underlying tty of /dev/console SYNOPSIS
showconsole [-n] setconsole /dev/tty<xy> < /dev/console DESCRIPTION
showconsole determines the underlying character device of the current stdin. This can be used on /dev/console as current character device to get the real character device back. setconsole sets the underlying tty of the system console /dev/console. This requires that the standard input is identical with /dev/con- sole and exactly one argument, a valid character device is given. OPTIONS
-n Return the major and minor device numbers instead of the device file name. This can be used to asked the kernel for the major and minor device numbers of a not existing device file in /dev. BUGS
showconsole needs a mounted /proc file system and tries to set the controlling tty to stdin if no controlling tty is found. After reading /proc the status of the controlling tty is restored to avoid problems with getty processes. FILES
/proc/<pid of showconsole>/stat the stat file of the showconsole process. /dev/console the system console. SEE ALSO
blogd(8), console(4), tty(4), proc(5). COPYRIGHT
2000 Werner Fink, 2000 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> 3rd Berkeley Distribution Nov 10, 2000 SHOWCONSOLE(8)