Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: invoke fork command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting invoke fork command Post 302467297 by Chubler_XL on Friday 29th of October 2010 12:06:57 AM
Old 10-29-2010
Typically if you want to run a command as a sub-process from the shell just put & on end of command eg:

Code:
 mycommand -param1 -param2 &

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke same script twice

hey, can I invoke the same script twice simultaneously? I want both instances to run at the same time with different parameters. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i invoke SU command in shell script

Hi All , i am trying to switch user (from unix1 to unix 2 ) The user will give me the input and also the password . also how can i login into with the password . itried several attempts . no luck Can any one help on this !!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
4 Replies

3. Solaris

How to securely invoke a Solaris privildged command (root) remotely?

Hi, What I would like to do "securely" is the following. From one central server invoke a script that does the following. --Store user/name passwords. (password possibly encrypted in config file) --From the central server invoke a privileged command (i.e. route add) on multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: topstuff
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OOM KIller INVOKE

Hi I have written a code that will exhaust the memory completely by allocating it and not freeing it. The OOM killer as expected in invoked and it killed a few high memory using processes and their childs. But after that, though the system is not getting hung, it is not printing any msgs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subratasaharia
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to invoke ESC+K

How to invoke ESC+K to get recent commands in Korn Shell. In some of the unix machine ESC+K is available and in some machines, it does not work. All of the machines that I work have Korn shell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi, I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing.. a=1 sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt ### Failing but a=1 sed -n '1,$p' files.txt ### Works fine Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjayraghavan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to invoke an URL

Hi, I am trying to invoke an service using URL. I want to know how to call that url with nohup. nohup links "__http://Administrator:assword@ServName:8080/invoke/wm.server.admin/shutdown?bounce=no&option=force&timeout=0" & I am trying to run this command on unix command prompt, But in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap27
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke this command after every 10 mins

Hi, I have an command which find the files modified within last 3 days and then after selecting the files from the location it make the tar format and send it to the specified destination ...now I want that this task to be automative ..that is it should happen after every 5 minutes ..plz guide me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neera
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with fork() command???

Hi , help me out Generally If the fork() is executed successfully Unix will create identical copies address spaces and the execution starts from the next statement of the fork() So, in such case output of the following prog must be #include<stdio.h> { printf("\nwelcome to"); fork();... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay496
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoke Procedure Help

Hello unix.com users, I reached a dead end with a procedure. My files: x.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use Net::FTP; my $host = $ARGV; my $user = $ARGV; my $pass = $ARGV || ""; my $port = "21"; $ftp=Net::FTP->new("$host", Port=>"$port", Timeout => 5) or die("couldn't connect to host:" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
2 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)