Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Improving this validate function Post 302467195 by pyscho on Thursday 28th of October 2010 02:12:58 PM
Old 10-28-2010
Improving this validate function

Hi guys, I use this function which was provided to me by someone at this site. It works perfectly for validating a users input option against allowed options..

example:

validateInput "1" "1 3 4 5" would return 0 (success)

Code:
function validateInput {
 input=$1
 allowedInput=$2

for allowedOption in ${allowedInput}
 do
  if [ ${input} -eq ${allowedOption} ]
  then
   return 0
  fi
 done

return 1
}

but now we allow users to enter more than 1 number and so this validate needs to be improved

validateInput "16" "1 3 4 5" this should return fail (1) as 6 is not in the allowedInput string.. currently the function return success because "1" is in the allowedInput string.. but I somehow need it to verify all the numbers in the first parameter

any ideas guys?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

improving my script

Hi; I want to access our customer database to retreive all clients that have as language index 2 or 3 and take their client number. My input is a file containing all client numbers. i access the data base using a function call "scpshow". The total number of clients i want to scan is 400 000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code by using associative arrays

I have the following code, and I am changing it to #!/bin/bash hasArgumentCModInfile=0 hasArgumentSrcsInfile=0 hasArgumentRcvsInfile=0 OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS="|=" # IFS controls splitting. Split on "|" and "=", not whitespace. set -- $* # Set the positional... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic help improving for in loop

I'm obviously very new to this. I'm trying to write a simple for loop that will read the directory names in /Users and then copy a file into the same subdir in each user directory. I have this, and it works but it isn't great. #!/bin/bash HOMEDIRS=/Users/* for dirs in $HOMEDIRS; do if ];... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heath_T
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help improving my script.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide input. To start, I am not a linux/unix expert but I muddle through the best I can. I am also in no way shape or form a programmer. Please keep that in mind as you read this script. This script is designed to find all files in a given... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: garlandxj11
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code

Gents, I did the below code to get an output (report) ,.. the code works fine but I believe it can be more shorted using better method. Please if you can help, to generate same output improving the code , will be great. here my code. # get diff in time awk '{$9=$8-prev8;prev8=$8;print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving repetitive tasks in function

stop_service () { sudo systemctl is-active --quiet video.service && sudo systemctl stop video.service && sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/video.service && echo stop video sudo systemctl is-active --quiet audio.service && sudo systemctl stop audio.service && sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/audio.service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristosv
4 Replies
XmbResetIC(3X11)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						  XmbResetIC(3X11)

NAME
XmbResetIC, XwcResetIC, Xutf8ResetIC - reset the state of an input context SYNTAX
char * XmbResetIC(ic) XIC ic; wchar_t * XwcResetIC(ic) XIC ic; char * Xutf8ResetIC(ic) XIC ic; ARGUMENTS
ic Specifies the input context. DESCRIPTION
When XNResetState is set to XIMInitialState, XmbResetIC, XwcResetIC and Xutf8ResetIC reset an input context to its initial state; when XNResetState is set to XIMPreserveState, the current input context state is preserved. In both cases, any input pending on that context is deleted. The input method is required to clear the preedit area, if any, and update the status accordingly. Calling XmbResetIC, XwcRe- setIC or Xutf8ResetIC does not change the focus. The return value of XmbResetIC is its current preedit string as a multibyte string. The return value of XwcResetIC is its current preedit string as a wide character string. The return value of Xutf8ResetIC is its current preedit string as an UTF-8 string. If there is any preedit text drawn or visible to the user, then these procedures must return a non-NULL string. If there is no visible preedit text, then it is input method implementation-dependent whether these procedures return a non-NULL string or NULL. The client should free the returned string by calling XFree. The function Xutf8ResetIC is an XFree86 extension introduced in XFree86 4.0.2. Its presence is indicated by the macro X_HAVE_UTF8_STRING. SEE ALSO
XCreateIC(3X11), XOpenIM(3X11), XSetICFocus(3X11), XSetICValues(3X11) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 Release 6.6 XmbResetIC(3X11)