Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH Redirect to Pipe (">|") Syntax Post 302466553 by Tanuka on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 04:43:06 PM
Old 10-26-2010
Unfortunately, I can't show the source code of somepgm - I do not have it. But one example of somepgm is a data file utility which reformats a binary file into a flat text file. When this utility is run without the ">|" but rather only the ">" redirector, the flat text is output to the screen instead of to the somedata file.

I'm wondering if the source code would reveal that somepgm is looking at the command line parameters, parsing them, and in the absence of ">|" as a "valid" parameter (or is watching for a noclobber exception?), puts the output on stdout?

Can a C/C++ pgm "see" the command line entries, such as redirectors?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

script running with "ksh" dumping core but not with "sh"

Hi, I have small script written in korn shell. When it is called from different script, its dumping core, but no core dump when we run it standalone. And its not dumping core if we run the script using "/bin/sh" instead of "ksh" Can some body please help me how to resolve this issue. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: simhe02
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, I´ve already searched the forum but can´t find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of "read" and "$END$" in ksh ?

Hi, Could anyone please shed some light on the following script lines and what is it doing as it was written by an ex-administrator? cat $AMS/version|read a b verno d DBVer=$(/usr/bin/printf "%7s" $verno) I checked that the cat $AMS/version command returns following output: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbadmin100
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the right way to redirect script output use ">" or ">>" ?

Which one of the following are more accurate and why? nohup myScript.sh 1>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh 1>>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 & nohup myScript.sh >>nohup_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).out 2>&1 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
IO::Pipe(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     IO::Pipe(3pm)

NAME
IO::Pipe - supply object methods for pipes SYNOPSIS
use IO::Pipe; $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); if($pid = fork()) { # Parent $pipe->reader(); while(<$pipe>) { ... } } elsif(defined $pid) { # Child $pipe->writer(); print $pipe ... } or $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); $pipe->reader(qw(ls -l)); while(<$pipe>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
"IO::Pipe" provides an interface to creating pipes between processes. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [READER, WRITER] ) Creates an "IO::Pipe", which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "IO::Pipe::new" optionally takes two arguments, which should be objects blessed into "IO::Handle", or a subclass thereof. These two objects will be used for the system call to "pipe". If no arguments are given then method "handles" is called on the new "IO::Pipe" object. These two handles are held in the array part of the GLOB until either "reader" or "writer" is called. METHODS
reader ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the reading end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. writer ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the writing end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. handles () This method is called during construction by "IO::Pipe::new" on the newly created "IO::Pipe" object. It returns an array of two objects blessed into "IO::Pipe::End", or a subclass thereof. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 IO::Pipe(3pm)