Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count delimiter and replace
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count delimiter and replace Post 302465945 by pravin27 on Monday 25th of October 2010 02:41:54 AM
Old 10-25-2010
Tr this,
Code:
awk  -F";" '{if (NF == 4) {print $0} else {printf substr($0,1,(length($0)-2));getline;print $0}}' inputfile

Last edited by pravin27; 10-25-2010 at 03:47 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace the last delimiter

hi, i have a file of the below format: WA| 3|52|Waste | PW| 3|53|Promotion Waste | BR| 3|54|Breakage | TH| 3|55|Theft | IC| 3|56|Insurance Claim | I want to replace the last delimiter | by using sed command ...can u please help me witht this Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiter count in a string.

Hi , I need to get the delimiter "-" count in a particular string. string= SYS_NAME-123-S5-2008-10-20.LOG the delimit "-" count is 5 . Using sed or awk can I know the count ? I have seen how to get the count for delimiter in a file but not a string :( Thanks, Priya (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiter count

Hi I wrote shell script for count the deleimeters and send it to reject file which are exeeseding number of count. But script is not working properly... Can you please check the below script and modify it as required. ex : 1,abc 2,mno 3,pqr 4,xyz,error As per the requiredment last... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace particular occurrence of character in between a delimiter?

Hi, Hi, I have a file with following format 1|" "text " around " |" fire "guest"|" " 2| "xyz"" | "no guest"|"3" 3| """ test3""| "one" guest"|"4" My requirement is to replace all occurrences of " to ' which are occurring between |" "|delimiter so my output should look like this 1|"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H_bansal
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip the delimiter with in double quotes and count the number of delimiters during data extract

Hi All, I'm stuck-up in finding a way to skip the delimiter which come within double quotes using awk or any other better option. can someone please help me out. Below are the details: Delimited: | Sample data: 742433154|"SYN|THESIS MED CHEM PTY.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count delimiter(~|*) each row in a file and return 1 or 0

Hi I want to check delimiter in file. Delimiter in my file is ~|* sample of file : ABC~|*edgf~|*T1J333~|*20121130 ABC~|*sdaf~|*T1J333~|*20121130 ABC~|*fsdg~|*T1J333~|*20121130 ABC~|*dfsg~|*T1J333~|*20121130 in this i want to count number delimiter occur is 4 in each row if count is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: MOHANP12
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column delimiter

Hi All, I have a file with a pipe delimiter. I need to replace the delimiter with html tags. I managed to get all the delimiters replaced along with first and last but the requirement is that I need to change 7th delimiter with slight change. File1: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk delimiter count if mismatched?

Hi all, I have a file where in it has lot of records in it. I have written below stuff to find the number of fields as shown below `awk -F '|' '{print NF-1}' file.txt| head -1` how do i proceed if in case any record in particular is having more number of delimiters, if it having??? what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux shell script to insert new lines based on delimiter count

The input file is a .dat file which is delimited by null (^@ in Linux). On a windows PC it looks something like this (numbers are masked with 1). https://i.imgur.com/nta2Gqp.jpg The entire file is in one row but it has multiple records - each record contains 80 fields i.e. there are 81 counts... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalnirvana
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- cut out selected portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility cuts out selected portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file arguments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the last number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. If a field or column is specified multiple times, it will appear only once in the output. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character (see the -d option.) Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. Characters will only be output if at least one byte is selected, and, after a prefix of zero or more unselected bytes, the rest of the bytes that form the character are selected. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BSD
December 21, 2006 BSD