Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Making file executable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making file executable Post 302464678 by Shyamz1 on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 05:34:24 PM
Old 10-20-2010
Making file executable

Hi guys, i'm trying to make a file called 'run-all-tests' executable but it is not letting me for some reason. I am presented with the following error: chmod: cannot access `./run-tests': No such file or directory

Basically i have a folder called ex3 and within that there are task folders: task1.2 task1.3 etc etc. and each of these tasks have a java program. I have made a run-tests file in each of these task folders:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
set -v
java {name of program}

I then created a run-all-tests file in the ex3 folder with following contents:
Code:
#!bin/bash
for task in task*
do
   echo "========================="
   echo "Task $task"
   echo "--------------------------------------"
   (cd $task; ./run-tests) 2>&1
done | less

I then ran chmod +x ./run-tests and it didnt work.

Any help?

Kind regards

Shyam

Last edited by Scott; 10-20-2010 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

pls hlp: making .sh files executable

I've got a file named jdictd.sh containing the following: --- begin file contents --- #! /bin/csh echo I\'m running! java -cp jdictd.jar org.dict.server.JDictd data/dict.ini # Use the following line instead if JRE 1.1 is used # jre -cp jdictd.jar org.dict.server.JDictd data/dict.ini ---end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. AIX

Making Executable File

Hi All: I am a newbie. I have shell script and bunch of java jar files and I want to give one single executable file (may be .bin). Ex: I have test.sh, jar1.jar, jar2.jar. I have to make process.xxx When we run "process.xxx" it will run the "test.sh" script which inturn uses jar1.jar and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxman123
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making UNIX script executable

Hello, I am very new to UNIX and I have been learning about writing scripts and making them executable. I created a script called myscript. It has three lines: #! /bin/sh # This is my first shell script echo friendsjustfriends Now I try to run it using the sh command and it works Next I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitx
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help making a script executable

making a script in vi to create a shell script called wherearethey by entering the following script: echo -n "Who are you looking for: "read userif then list=`w | grep $user | cut -c19-30` if then echo "The user $user is logged in from $list" else echo "The user $user is not logged in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtner
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in making Awk executable script

Guys I placed #!path/awk -f placed awk script and used $1 to call 1st inputfile inside the script. But some where I did mistake. Could you please help me run this script as executable I forgot to mention I also used BEGIN before placing awk script. But nothing worked out. Script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a perl script executable

Hello, I have a perl program called snp_hwe.pl I have another program called hwe_test.run which contains the following: for file in *.inp do cp $file genotype_counts_c.txt ./snp_hwe.exe > $file'.res' done I want to change my perl program to an executable program while changing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What choice when "making" an executable on FreeBSD?

I should make an executable on our server, and are having some problem (I changed this question cause I found out that anser). I'm getting this error when trying to do make: In file included from... /usr/include/sys/file.h:161: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'u_int' *** Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 244an
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making any script executable

Hi all, I'm new to Unix so just wanted some help. I've been self learning and came accross a question online that I was trying. It is to make any shell script executable, the name of the file is to be made executable. I would use nano and type in something like #! /bin/bash Chmod +x... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelenaR
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making bash script allways executable when transfer ?

Does it possible to make some bash script automatic to be a executable when transfered to another pc...? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
5 Replies
HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)						File Formats Manual					       HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)

NAME
hobbitlaunch.cfg - Task definitions for the hobbitlaunch utility SYNOPSIS
~xymon/server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg DESCRIPTION
The hobbitlaunch.cfg file holds the list of tasks that hobbitlaunch runs to perform all of the tasks needed by the Xymon monitor. FILE FORMAT
A task is defined by a key, a command, and optionally also interval, environment, and logfile. Blank lines and lines starting with a hash mark (#) are treated as comments and ignored. Long lines can be broken up by putting a back- slash at the end of the line and continuing the entry on the next line. An entry looks like this: [hobbitd] ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/bin/hobbitd [updateweb] ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/bin/bbgen NEEDS hobbitd GROUP webupdates INTERVAL 5m ONHOST localhost MAXTIME 10m LOGFILE /var/log/xymon/updateweb.log The key is enclosed in angle brackets, and must be unique for each task. You can choose your key-names as you like, they are only used internally in hobbitlaunch to identify each task. The command is defined by the CMD keyword. This is the full command including any options you want to use for this task. This is required for all tasks. The DISABLED keyword means that this command is disabled. hobbitlaunch will not start this task. It is recommended that you use this to disable standard tasks, instead of removing them or commenting them out. Upgrades to Xymon will add standard tasks back into the file, so unless you have them listed as DISABLED then tasks may re-appear unexpectedly after an upgrade. The ONHOST keyword tells hobbitlaunch that this task should only run on specific hosts. After the ONHOST keyword, you must provide a "regu- lar expression"; if the hostname where hobbitlaunch runs matches this expression, then the task will run. If it doesn't match, then the task is treated as if it were DISABLED. The MAXTIME keyword sets a maximum time that the task may run; if exceeded, hobbitlaunch will kill the task. The time is in seconds by default, you can specify minutes, hours or days by adding an "m", "h" or "d" after the number. By default there is no upper limit on how long a taskmay run. The NEEDS instructs hobbitlaunch not to run this task unless the task defined by the NEEDS keyword is already running. This is used e.g. to delay the start of some application until the needed daemons have been started. The task that must be running is defined by its key. The GROUP keyword can be used to limit the number of tasks that may run simultaneously. E.g. if you are generating multiple pagesets of webpages, you dont want them to run at the same time. Putting them into a GROUP will cause hobbitlaunch to delay the start of new tasks, so that only one task will run per group. You can change the limit by defining the group before the tasks, with a "GROUP groupname max- tasks" line. The INTERVAL keyword defines how often this command is executed. The example shows a command that runs every 5 minutes. If no interval is given, the task is only run once - this is useful for tasks that run continually as daemons - although if the task stops for some reason, then hobbitlaunch will attempt to restart it. Intervals can be specified in seconds (if you just put a number there), or in minutes (5m), hours (2h), or days (1d). The ENVFILE setting points to a file with definitions of environment variables. Before running the task, hobbitlaunch will setup all of the environment variables listed in this file. Since this is a per-task setting, you can use the same hobbitlaunch instance to run e.g. both the server- and client-side Xymon tasks. If this option is not present, then the environment defined to hobbitlaunch is used. The ENVAREA setting modifies which environment variables are loaded, by picking up the ones that are defined for this specific "area". See hobbitserver.cfg(5) for information about environment areas. The LOGFILE setting defines a logfile for the task. hobbitlaunch will start the task with stdout and stderr redirected to this file. If this option is not present, then the output goes to the same location as the hobbitlaunch output. SEE ALSO
hobbitlaunch(8), hobbitd(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)