Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting specific files from a tar file in HP-UX Post 302464532 by vbe on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 11:09:21 AM
Old 10-20-2010
How correct?
does it start with a dot?
If not, you archived using absolute path...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is extracting specific files from a zip file possible?

If a zip file contains several zip files, but if the file names of the files needed are known, is there a variation of the unzip command that will allow those few (individual) files to be extracted? --- Example: Zip file name: zip.zip unzip -l zip.zip will display file01, file02, file03, etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - batch script for extracting one file from multiple tar files

so i have hundreds of files named history.20071112.tar (history.YYYYMMDD.tar) and im looking to extract one file out of each archive called status_YYYYMMDDHH:MM.lis here is what i have so far: for FILE in `cat dirlist` do tar xvf $FILE ./status_* done dirlist is a text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar files.

Hey guys complete n00b here so I'll try my best at explaining. I'm creating a backup and restore utility and decided to use tar. I create a backup folder in each user's account and when backing up (say word processing files), I use the following: tar cvf /home/user/backup/wpbackup.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting multuiple tar files with while and read

Is anyone out there? I'm trying to run a script i wrote that extracts multiple .tar files in succession by pasting it into standard input. It does extract them all but I cant get it to stop looping and when I hit enter I get a tar command error like its still looking for files to extract. ie; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: commoja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract contents of tar ball without extracting files

Hi, I'm using a tar command tar -xOvf /home/mytar.tar My intention is to extract data in files which are inside various directories, without extracting files to the disk. Is this the best way to achieve it? Thanks, Chetan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files

Hey, I have number of .tgz files and want to extract the file with the ending *results.txt from each one. I have tried for file in *.tgz; do tar --wildcards -zxf $file *results.txt; doneas well as list=$(ls *.tgz) for i in $list; do tar --wildcards -zxvf $i *.results.txt; done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar.gz files

I have a directory tree containing archive .tar.gz files that I want to extract at the location where they recide. How can I achieve such an operation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash not removing all .tar.bz2 files after extracting

In the bash below each .tar.bz2 (usually 2) are extracted and then the original .tar.bz2 is removed. However, only one (presumably the first extracted) is being removed, however both are extracted. I am not sure why this is? Thank you :). tar.bz2 folders in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux read specific content file from tar.gz files without extracting

hello i wish to write the result of these below conditions in a file: 1. in a specific folder, i have many tar.gz files. 2. each tar.gz file contains ".dat" file in sub folders. 3. i wish to get the full path of these .dat files, if i find in it a specific word ("ERROR24"). 4. all this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyjames9
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files tar.lzo with/without extracting

Hi Guys, I have 2 compressed files tar.lzo and having many subdirectories inside it. I would like to know which files having the difference in terms of size/content. I am using bash shell and unix server example:- file1 :- abc.tar.lzo file2 :- xyz.tar.lzo Result:- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshupant
4 Replies
symlink(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							symlink(4)

NAME
symlink - symbolic link DESCRIPTION
A symbolic (or soft ) link is a file whose name indirectly refers (points) to a relative or absolute path name. During path name interpretation, a symbolic link to a relative path name is expanded to the path name being interpreted, and a symbolic link to an absolute path name is replaced with the path name being interpreted. Thus, given the path name If is a symbolic link to a relative path name such as the path name is interpreted as If is a symbolic link to an absolute path name such as the path name is interpreted as All symbolic links are interpreted in this manner, with one exception: when the symbolic link is the last component of a path name, it is passed as a parameter to one of the system calls: or (see readlink(2), rename(2), symlink(2), unlink(2), chown(2) and lstat(2)). With these calls, the symbolic link, itself, is accessed or affected. Unlike normal (hard) links, a symbolic link can refer to any arbitrary path name and can span different logical devices (volumes). The path name can be that of any type of file (including a directory or another symbolic link), and may be invalid if no such path exists in the system. (It is possible to make symbolic links point to themselves or other symbolic links in such a way that they form a closed loop. The system detects this situation by limiting the number of symbolic links it traverses while translating a path name.) The mode and ownership of a symbolic link is ignored by the system, which means that affects the actual file, but not the file containing the symbolic link (see chmod(1)). Symbolic links can be created using or (see ln(1) and symlink(2)). AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
cp(1), symlink(2), readlink(2), link(2), stat(2), mknod(1M). symlink(4)