Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding & Copying files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding & Copying files Post 302464472 by Y-T on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 08:47:56 AM
Old 10-20-2010
homework?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
Looks very much like homework!
What have you done so far?
Sorry, i was not participating in any classes or homework or the like here Smilie i really am mainly a ubuntu desktop user, i am not earning my money with unix or linux shell scripting, but need all in all three tips so far to get a one time problem i have there, done.

So, as i said, any help is appreciated Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding and copying files !

Hi , I have a question relating to finding and copying files. i need to find the .pdf files from the specified directory which has subdirectories too. I only need .pdf files and not the directories and need to copy those files into my current directory. copy files from :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bregoty
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding and Copying Email

I have to create a bash script that will find Feedback emails and copy them to a labFeedback folder in my mail directory. I have an idea in my head on what commands can be used for this (find obviously among them). However, I have no idea where to start. I'm not sure what info needs to be given,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Joesgrrrl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in finding files & processing them

Hi All, I have a requirement to search 3 files in a directory and process them after they arrive. I know the names of the files and also the directory where I have to search them. These things are going to be constant. I used the "test -f" command to search a single file. That is working... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatipevekar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding duplicates then copying, almost there, maybe?

Hi everyone. I'm trying to help my wife with a project, she has exported 200 images from many different folders, unfortunately there was a problem with the export and I need to find the master versions so that she doesn't have to go through and select them again. I need to: For each image in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhinoskin
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding, copying, assembling

Hi everybody, I've been running some analyses, the results of which have been stored in a sequential manner with a directory structure like step0, step1, step2, ... for iterations 0-2, for example. Each iteration contains several nested folders, with three pieces of information I need. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JDenton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a text in files & replacing it with unique strings

Hallo Everyone. I have to admit I'm shell scripting illiterate . I need to find certain strings in several text files and replace each of the string by unique & corresponding text. I prepared a csv file with 3 columns: <filename>;<old_pattern>;<new_pattern> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordom
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Challenges in finding and copying the block

Hi, I have a below challenging task where iam unable to find the block and copy the same into a file. I tried my luck,howver iam unable to reach the first and second step..Can anyone help me with a clue or with the commands so that i can give a try. 1. search the <number>9966993366</number>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding and copying list of files using bash shell script

Dear All, I have a situation where I want to copy some files of type .txt. These files are o/p from one program. Some of the files are named as fileName .txt instead of fileName.txt after fileName by mistake I have specified "space". Now I want to move these files as follows. mv fileName*... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
13 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)