Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to RESIZE / root partition in RHEL5 (VM)? Post 302464115 by verdepollo on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 10:17:40 AM
Old 10-19-2010
Take a look at this guide:

CentOS 5 - Resizing a Partition

You may want to create an LVM though. That way you will be able to resize the partition/filesystem online next time you run out of space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Resize FREEBSD 5.4 partition

Experts, I am trying to repartition my FreeBSD partition to accomodate 1GB of DOS partition so that I can have the samba share support. I wanted to know the procedure to resize an exsiting FreeBSD partition. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Jim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmynath
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resize root disk slices

I have a Sun box running Solaris 9. My root disk was slices too small when it was installed and I am now at 99% capacity for my root partition. Is it possible, and if so how?, to increase the size of slice 0 and decrease the size of slice 7?? Thanks! Current partition table... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

3. SCO

SCO 5.0.6 how to partition resize in HTFS?

I have a 17GB SCSI disk in an SCO 5.0.6 server and it's running out of space because of a growing database on the disk. Consequently I would like to upgrade the 17GB to a 74GB disk and extend the partition. First off, is partition extension available under HTFS - I know this is an old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carribey
1 Replies

4. SuSE

Resize Root Filesystem in SUSE Linux

Hello Experts, I am very new to unix environment. Root filesystem in one of our Linux boxes has almost reached 100%. is there a procedure/ way to resize the root filesystem. ****************************************************** ld8331:/ # df -h|more Filesystem Size Used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok1784
2 Replies

5. SCO

Partition Resize / Creation

Hello, I'm new to SCO and I require some help... I have an OLD HD which is about to die and I want to replace it with a new HD. When I clone the HD with either Acronis or Ghost it wont allow me to resize the UNIX partition and I'm stuck with 80% of the new drive as unused space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dochost
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

required resize /boot partition in linux

Hi, In my linux box I have installed /boot partition with 100MB. I have done compile for a newer kernel. The both kernels are required to me. Finally /boot partition has using 100%. I need to resize the /boot. Any body give the solution how to do resize the /boot partition without dusturbing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parsrigum
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Need to partition root

Hello guys, I am using Solaris 10 x86 OS. While installing OS i have allocated entire 10 GB space to the root. Now i am not able to create new partition it says me "out of range" or "<cylinder number> not expected". Can someone please help me to allocated a default recommended space i.e 8GB or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
2 Replies

8. SCO

Resize root partition

I have SCO Openserver 5.0.5 Root partition is 96% full and I would like to make it bigger. How can this be done? 1) Can I use 'dd' to backup 'root' and then backup '/u' to a third hard disk, then divvy the primary hard disk to have a larger 'root' filesystem (i.e. previous root + u) 2) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grips03
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Resize Linux partition

Hello., Could any one please share the informaiton about this or please point me the reference : Assume, we have the following partition after linux machine is setup, it will mention like this : bash$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/xvda2 10G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Resize partition volume

Hello, I am running ubuntu 14.04. Have just installed torrent into home directory but /dev/md2 is almost full. Is it possible to resize md2 to get rid of any problem that may arise in the near future? Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on udev 17G 4.1k 17G 1% /dev... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)					      System Manager's Manual					      dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)

NAME
dtc_kill_vps_disk - destroy LVM disks for freeing space SYNOPSIS
dtc_kill_vps_disk VPS_NUMBER [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_kill_vps_disk This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to delete a partitions that was used by a VPS. It will delete the normal partition that was used as a root disk, and the swap partition. dtc_kill_vps_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 lvm This will delete the 2 LVM partitions that were used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being the root partition, and the second one being the swap partition. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_kill_vps_disk See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_setup_vps_disk(8) dtc_kill_vps_disk(8)