Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX p570 seeing LTO drive but not 3582 library (smc0) Post 302463928 by BobSmith on Monday 18th of October 2010 09:38:10 PM
Old 10-18-2010
p570 seeing LTO drive but not 3582 library (smc0)

I have a p570 running AIX 5.2 ml 10. We just got in a IBM 3582 library. The library is connected directly to the lpar via fibre cable.

I've installed:
Code:
Atape.driver              11.7.7.0
atldd.driver               6.8.4.0

After a reboot, I can see the one tape drive:
Code:
root@rgtsscsr60:/etc # lsdev -Cc tape
rmt0 Available 0H-08-00-0,0 LVD SCSI 4mm Tape Drive
rmt1 Available 0M-08-02     IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)

I can also run a tapeutil command against it (tapeutil -f /dev/rmt1 status) and get the status of the drive.

My problem is that no smc device shows up. That is, I can't see the library.

Did I miss a step somewhere? Is there some other fileset I need to install?

Thanks (in advance) for any help you can provide.

---------- Post updated at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:32 PM ----------

I am not using any backup software other than wanting to use tapeutil to control my library/tape drive.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags please when posting code, data or logs to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks.

Last edited by zaxxon; 10-19-2010 at 08:57 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/smc0

hi i went to do a more /dev/smc0 and it shows a READ ERROR., what shall i do? i am running on a AIX 4.3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LTO 3 on rp7400

hi guys, I have a rp7400 running on 11i and i would like to attach LTO3 certance OEM quantum to this box using an ultra 2 scsi lvd/se-A5149A PCI adapter.Once i attached this card and try to detect it in boot handler running the io command,i can't see the card but once i attach it to the internal... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giriplug
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

4. AIX

Mounting a USB Drive in AIX 5.3 ML 6, P570

Hi Can somebody help me know , How can i mount a USB drive in my AIX 5.3 ML6, P570 Server. This is a Bit urgent for me. Thanks in advance.. Regards Raj (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdkumarj
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

LTO Compatibility

Is any one told me that LTO3 tape Cartridge is compatible with LTO2 Tape Drive. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn Paul
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Configure New LTO-2 Tape Drive

Can I do this live? Or, do I need to do a probe-scsi-all after doing a stop/A? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgordon
10 Replies

7. AIX

Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive for pSeries p570

I have 2 servers in my office which are p570 and p550. Both run under AIX 5300-07. And I only have 1 x SCSI Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive. For syncronization purposes, I always backup p570 server's database and restore into p550 server. And due to the frequent process of syncronization, I require to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

8. Solaris

LTO replacement

Hi guys, I've changed the LTO3 device, but the OS (Solaris10) doesn't feel it. From the ok> prompt i've launched the probe-scsi-all command and it worked fine because i could see the new device; the from the ok> i booted the system (normal boot, probably a boot -r could be better..) and from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cecco16
11 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun E220R + HP (SCSI) LTO Ultrium Tape Drive

Hi all, this time I'd need a help from an advanced Solaris system admin :rolleyes: I attached a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 215 Tape Drives - Overview - c00059530 - HP Business Support Center to my Sun E220R and it got recognized immediately (probe-scsi-all). Now the operating system boot process... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
8 Replies
TAPEINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       TAPEINFO(1)

NAME
tapeinfo - report SCSI tape device info SYNOPSIS
tapeinfo -f <scsi-generic-device> DESCRIPTION
The tapeinfo command reads various information from SCSI tape drives that is not generally available via most vendors' tape drivers. It issues raw commands directly to the tape drive, using either the operating system's SCSI generic device ( e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux, /dev/pass0 on FreeBSD) or the raw SCSI I/O ioctl on a tape device on some operating systems. One good time to use 'tapeinfo' is immediately after a tape i/o operation has failed. On tape drives that support HP's 'tapealert' API, 'tapeinfo' will report a more exact description of what went wrong. Do be aware that 'tapeinfo' is not a substitute for your operating system's own 'mt' or similar tape driver control program. It is intended to supplement, not replace, programs like 'mt' that access your operating system's tape driver in order to report or set information. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally start at /dev/sg0 under FreeBSD these start at /dev/pass0). Under FreeBSD, 'camcontrol devlist' will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which 'pass' device controls them. Under Linux, "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" will tell you what SCSI devices you have. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
This program has only been tested on Linux with a limited number of tape drives (HP DDS4, Seagate AIT). AVAILABILITY
tapeinfo is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://source- forge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
mt(1),mtx(1),scsitape(1),scsieject(1),loaderinfo(1) TAPEINFO1.0 TAPEINFO(1)