Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications C++ IDE and/or Text editor with split screen Post 302463772 by DGPickett on Monday 18th of October 2010 11:35:10 AM
Old 10-18-2010
I was playing around in Eclipse trying to get the C++ plugin to work, so I would have one IDE for both JAVA and C++. Maybe it will work for you!

The diff has some very nice optional presentations for comparison. I like the one where lines are prefixed =+- for same, new, old. I also love diff3 -e to merge changes from a common starting point file and two modified files using ex.

A coding style with many lines really helps all tools, so start designing, and adhering to, a nicely indented, one line per parameter, assignment or boolean predicate style. Alas, comma lists and other infix operators mess this up a bit with list-level operators intruding into the list elements, unless you go newline-crazy-ugly (I've seen it)!

Oh, for a language with lists externally notated, like:
Code:
OR(
 z == 3
 bool_variable
 c > 7
 AND(
  d == 9
  e < 100
  bool_returning_method()
  )
 )

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VI or text editor

Before I learned how wonderfull VI and Unix was. I used a little crappy DOS editor. I wouldn't go back to it for anything. However I work with a lot of formatted files that use the column position. I wonder if any here knows of a way to make VI display the cursors coulmn position or if there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisg411
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text editor

I currently use konsole fo rmy terminal use. when i go into vi and type the letter t the stupied thing highlights the letter brown and it messes my thing up. Whereever i type the letter t it highlights in brown. Is there some way to change it. I dont know how this problem start. RH 8 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASpin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Unix screen cmd effecting Vi editor

Hello, I enjoy using the unix screen utility, but my vi sessions lose the ability to syntax highlight code and split screen(:vs or :sp). When not using screen, I can do those things within vi. Anybody experience this and know the fix? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geephei
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal

Wellcomes All, some times ago I 've installed a Debian ditribution on an Hard Disk who was set as Primary Master. Few days ago, I 've decided to install another Hard Disk with a different Operating System. When I did that, I turned off the old hard disk, and I mouted the new one on the Primary IDE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thekarsillo
1 Replies

6. Programming

Text editor in C

Hi, I want to create a text editor in C on Unix. Can any1 jus tell me how to start with n wat all I have to look into if I have to write an editor.. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julie_s
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nano ; does it have split screen capability?

Can nano have two files open at once? Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a text file into multiple text files?

I have a text file with entries like 1186 5556 90844 7873 7722 12 7890.6 78.52 6679 3455 9867 1127 5642 ..N so many records like this. I want to split this file into multiple files like cluster1.txt, cluster2.txt, cluster3.txt, ..... clusterN.txt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777
4 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print RCS's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.8.1; Release Date: 2012-06-06. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Thien-Thi Nguyen. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU RCS 5.8.1 2012-06-06 MERGE(1)