Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Real time status of tape drive loaded for backup Post 302463410 by lhareigh890 on Sunday 17th of October 2010 10:08:39 AM
Old 10-17-2010
Real time status of tape drive loaded for backup

Do we have a way in solaris to actuallyu check in real time the activity of a tape when it is loaded for backup?

I know mt -f /dev/rmt/0n stat will provide the status. If it's busy, meaning it's currrently on backup mode or someone is using it (fuser -u /dev/rmt/0n)

I wanted to check if the backup is ongoing or if there's an error because there are times when my backup is super long which I assumed that there's something happening on the tape (maybe hanging oe something else)

thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Unix backup to tape drive

does anyone know how I can make an automatic backup of files to a tape drive under UNIX. I have so many commands, I don't know which goes where. I have commands for the task scheduler, Cron and other unix commands. Please help. Very Urgent. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cute
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the tape backup drive

Please help me!!!. I am new to Unix and I have to replace the tape backup drive. Originally the system had an IBM tape drive (Rhomat) that is damged. I changed it and installed a dat drive HP 5000+. The hardware recognize the drive, the diagnostics if OK. But when I try to install the operating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: allaite2
3 Replies

3. AIX

AIX Tape Drive Backup

Currently I have a Dell Ultrium LTO 2 Tape Drive. I am going to have a IBM AIX server. Just wonder if it is possibe to connect this tape drive to the aix server? I have Brightstor Arcserver installed on another win 2003 server. Is it possible to install the arcserve agent on the aix and use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ming413
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

tape drive access/backup

Need assistance: Have HP Visualize C3600 workstation, HP-UX 10.20, and HP C6364A 12GB DDS-3 SCSI DAT drive. I am not a UNIX programmer and did not configure/build workstation. Ran ioscan and shows up as HPC1537A, class tape, and 10/0/15/0.2.0. Switch on back of unit is denoted SCSI ID and is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: davel1000
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I cannot restore my backup from my exabyte tape drive

Hi All, I have an old Unix system used by a client as a backup server.I installed an Exabyte tape drive and on restarting the server and during POSTs, the system recognizes the tape drive with its scsi id. On running the command devstat -IAF, the system sees the tape drive quite well. When... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezleone
1 Replies

6. AIX

Tape drive write status

Is there a command on AIX that will show the write status of a tape? We have sysback running via a cron job backing up to a tape. I want to be able to check the progress of the backup. I need a command that will show ne the progress of the backup or the speed of the backup while it is taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Backup files to tape drive on solaris

Hi, I want to take backup of files older than 20 days from a directory onto a tape drive on remote machine on Solaris. The files are of format abc-20100301000000.gz on my local machine. I know the below commands for searching files older than x days and command for backup procedure. solar1 #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check tape drive status on HP-UX

Hi all, We have an ESL tape library with legato networker software. From GUI - networker administrator, i can see that 3 of our tape drives are in service mode. How can i view the same thing by issuing commands in HP-UX. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Backup to remote tape drive

Hello all, I'm trying to backup some files on a solaris 10 machine to the remote tape drive connected to another solaris 10 machine. I have set up rsh to allow for password-less connection between the servers, but I'm not able to write to the tape with the command: root@sdp4a>tar cvf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
1 Replies

10. Solaris

possible to do ufsdump backup without a tape drive ?

hi friends, i am trying to patch a solaris 9 server. However i need to do a ufsdump backup before any patching. There is no hardware port for connecting the tape drive. Any other ways to do a ufsdump ? :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies
TAPECONFIG(5)							AFS File Reference						     TAPECONFIG(5)

NAME
tapeconfig - Defines parameters for tape devices and backup data files DESCRIPTION
The tapeconfig file defines basic configuration parameters for all of the tape devices or backup data files available for backup operations on a Tape Coordinator machine. The file is in ASCII format and must reside in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. The instruction for each tape device or backup data file appears on its own line and each has the following format: [<capacity> <filemark_size>] <device_name> <port_offset> where <capacity> Specifies the capacity of the tapes used with a tape device, or the amount of data to write into a backup data file. The Tape Coordinator refers to this value in two circumstances: o When the capacity field of a tape or backup data file's label is empty (because the tape has never been labeled). The Tape Coordinator records this value on the label and uses it when determining how much data it can write to the tape or file during a backup dump or backup savedb operation. If there is already a capacity value on the label, the Tape Coordinator uses it instead. o When the -size argument is omitted the first time the backup labeltape command is used on a given tape or file. The Tape Coordinator copies this value into the label's capacity field. The Tape Coordinator uses this capacity value or the one on the Backup System tape label to track how much space remains as it writes data to a tape or backup data file. The appropriate value to record for a tape depends on the size of the tapes usually used in the device and whether it has a compression mode; for suggested values, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. If using a value obtained from the fms command, reduce it by 10% to 15% before recording it in the file. For a backup data file, it is best to provide a value that helps the Tape Coordinator avoid reaching the end-of-file (EOF) unexpectedly. Make it at least somewhat smaller than the amount of space available on the partition housing the file when the dump operation begins, and never larger than the maximum file size allowed by the operating system. Specify a (positive) integer or decimal value followed by a letter than indicates units, with no intervening space. In a decimal number, the number of digits after the decimal point must not translate to fractions of bytes. The maximum acceptable value is 2048 GB (2 TB). The acceptable units letters are as follows; if the letter is omitted, the default is kilobytes. o "k" or "K" for kilobytes (KB). o "m" or "M" for megabytes (MB). o "g" or "G" for gigabytes (GB). o "t" or "T" for terabytes (TB). If this field is omitted, the Tape Coordinator uses the maximum acceptable value (2048 GB or 2 TB). Either leave both this field and the <filemark_size> field empty, or provide a value in both of them. <filemark_size> Specifies the size of a tape device's filemarks (also called end-of-file or EOF marks), which is set by the device's manufacturer. In a dump to tape, the Tape Coordinator inserts filemarks at the boundary between the data from each volume, so the filemark size affects how much space is available for actual data. The appropriate value to record for a tape depends on the size of the tapes usually used in the device and whether it has a compression mode; for suggested values, see the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter on configuring the Backup System. If using a value obtained from the fms command, increase it by 10% to 15% before recording it in the file. For backup data files, record a value of 0 (zero). The Tape Coordinator actually ignores this field for backup data files, because it does not use filemarks when writing to a file. Use the same notation as for the <capacity> field, but note that the default units is bytes rather than kilobytes. The maximum acceptable value is 2048 GB. If this field is empty, the Tape Coordinator uses the value 0 (zero). Either leave both this field and the <capacity> field empty, or provide a value in both of them. <device_name> Specifies the complete pathname of the tape device or backup data file. The format of tape device names depends on the operating system, but on UNIX systems device names generally begin with the string /dev/. For a backup data file, this field defines the complete pathname; for a discussion of suggested naming conventions see the description of the "FILE" instruction in butc(5). <port_offset> Specifies the port offset number associated with this combination of Tape Coordinator and tape device or backup data file. Acceptable values are the integers 0 through 58510 (the Backup System can track a maximum of 58,511 port offset numbers). Each value must be unique among the cell's Tape Coordinators, but any number of them can be associated with a single machine. Port offset numbers need not be assigned sequentially, and can appear in any order in the tapeconfig file. Assign port offset 0 to the Tape Coordinator for the tape device or backup data file used most often for backup operations; doing so will allow the operator to omit the -portoffset argument from the largest possible number of backup commands. PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
Creating the file requires UNIX "w" (write) and "x" (execute) permissions on the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. Editing the file requires UNIX "w" (write) permission on the file. EXAMPLES
The following example tapeconfig file configures three tape devices and a backup data file. The first device has device name /dev/rmt/0h, and is assigned port offset 0 because it will be the most frequently used device for all backup operations in the cell. Its default tape capacity is 2 GB and filemark size is 1 MB. The /dev/rmt/3h drive has half the capacity but a much smaller filemark size; its port offset is 3. The third device listed, /dev/rmt/4h, has the same capacity and filemark size as the first device and is assigned port offset 2. Port offset 4 is assigned to the backup data file /dev/FILE, which is actually a symbolic link to the actual file located elsewhere on the local disk. The Tape Coordinator writes up to 1.5 GB into the file; as recommended, the filemark size is set to zero. 2G 1M /dev/rmt/0h 0 1g 4k /dev/rmt/3h 3 2G 1m /dev/rmt/4h 2 1.5G 0 /dev/FILE 4 SEE ALSO
backup_addhost(8), backup_dump(8), backup_labeltape(8), backup_savedb(8), butc(8), fms(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 TAPECONFIG(5)