Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reducing the number of characters in a column Post 302463314 by kurumi on Saturday 16th of October 2010 11:25:23 PM
Old 10-17-2010
Code:
sed 's/^......//;s/\(..........\)\(.[^ \t]*\)\(.*\)/\1\3/' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of escape characters?

Hi, I am trying to execute the following command from a batch script, but no matter how many escape characters I put in it doesn't execute properly. It works fine from the command line with quotes around the -exec part. #!/bin/sh /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/atria/bin/cleartool setview -exec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc -c (number of characters)

for some reason word count always counts one extra character. for example, echo 11 | wc -c counts 3 characters instead of 2 anyone know how to get the exact number of characters? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of characters in particular column

Hi i have data like abchd 124 ldskc aattggcc each separated by tab space i want to count number of characters in 4th column and print it in new column with tabspace for every line can anyone help me how to do it. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavpbk88
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number of characters in a column and replace

Hi all, I want to count total no. of characters in a column. and if no. of charaters are more than 3 then it must replace it by splitted string. ie, it must place a space after 3 characters. Ex: 21 435g asd3dd jklfjwe wer column number 3 has 4 alphanumeric character, so it must be splitted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the first character from the fourth column only if the column has four characters

I have a file as follows ATOM 5181 N AMET K 406 12.440 6.552 25.691 0.50 7.37 N ATOM 5182 CA AMET K 406 13.685 5.798 25.578 0.50 5.87 C ATOM 5183 C AMET K 406 14.045 5.179 26.909 0.50 5.07 C ATOM 5184 O MET K... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasanabdulla
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's

please write a shell script Table -------------------------- 1 2 3 a b c 3 4 5 c d e 7 8 9 f g h Output should be like this --------------- 1 2 3 3 4 5 7 8 9 a b c c d e f g h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record

Split column data if the table has n number of column's with some record then how to split n number of colmn's line by line with records Table --------- Col1 col2 col3 col4 ....................col20 1 2 3 4 .................... 20 a b c d .................... v ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priti2277
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print column number while ignoring alpha characters

I have the following script that will print column 4 ("25") when column 1 contains "123". However, I need to ignore the alpha characters that are contained in the input file. If I were to ignore the characters my output would be column 3. What is the best way to print my column of interest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)