Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] How to concatenate files in subdirectories? Post 302462760 by cfajohnson on Friday 15th of October 2010 02:01:21 AM
Old 10-15-2010
Code:
logdir=$HOME/tmp/logfiles ## adjust to taste

for dir in "$logdir"/*/
do
  (
    cd "$dir"
    files=( *.txt )
    cat "${files[@]}" > "${PWD##*/}.txt"
    rm  "${files[@]}"
  )
done

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to cfajohnson For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read files from subdirectories

hello there the problem i got: i need to list .rrd files in each sub-directory from the parent directory, then create .xml files for each rrd files, the xml file should be in the same subdirectoryas rrd file. i have tried ls |awk '{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list the files but exclude the files in subdirectories

If I execute the command "ls -l /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/* | awk -F' ' '{print $9}' | cut -d'/' -f6-8" it will list all the files in /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/ directory as well as the files in subdirectories also proj/code/test.sh proj/code/test1.c proj/code/unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursively concatenate files in subdirectories with same folder name

I'm trying to concatenate files in subdirectories with the same folder name. Say concatenate all the files in the 'current' subdirectories in 'Literature' parent directory. Literature/USA/current/ Literature/Europe/current/ Can anyone help with it? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyce007
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively concatenate files in subdirectories with the same folder name

I'm trying to concatenate files in subdirectories with the same folder name. Say concatenate all the files in the 'current' subdirectories in 'Literature' parent directory. Literature/USA/current/ Literature/Europe/current/ Can anyone help with it? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyce007
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment.

- Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment. - I need to concatenate 3 files which have the same characters in the beginning and have to remove those files and add a comment and the end. Example: cat REJ_FILE_ABC.txt REJ_FILE_XYZ.txt REJ_FILE_PQR.txt >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Script to concatenate 2 files with the same number of lines

Hi everyone, I have two files, namely: file1: file1Col1Row1;file1Col2Row1;file1Col3Row1 file1Col1Row2;file1Col2Row2;file1Col3Row2 file1Col1Row3;file1Col2Row3;file1Col3Row3file2: file2Col1Row1;file2Col2Row1;file2Col3Row1 file2Col1Row2;file2Col2Row2;file2Col3Row2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)						   User Commands					      UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)

NAME
unburden-home-dir - unburdens home directories from caches and trashes SYNOPSIS
unburden-home-dir [ -n | -u | -f filter ] unburden-home-dir ( -h | --help | --version ) DESCRIPTION
unburden-home-dir unburdens the home directory from files and directory which cause high I/O or disk usage but are neither important if they are lost, e.g. caches or trash directory. When being run it moves the files and directories given in the configuration file to a location outside the home directory, e.g. /tmp or /scratch, and puts appropriate symbolic links in the home directory instead. OPTIONS
-f just unburden those directory matched by the given filter (a perl regular expression) -- matches the already unburdened directories if used together with -u. -F Do not check for files in use with lsof before (re)moving files. -n dry run (show what would be done) -u undo (reverse the functionality and put stuff back into the home directory) -h, --help show this help --version show the program's version EXAMPLES
Example configuration files can be found at /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/examples on Debian-based systems and in the etc/ directory of the source tar ball. FILES
/etc/unburden-home-dir, /etc/unburden-home-dir.list, ~/.unburden-home-dir, ~/.unburden-home-dir.list, /etc/default/unburden-home-dir, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/95unburden-home-dir Read /usr/share/doc/unburden-home-dir/README on debianoid installations or README in the source tar ball for an explanation of these files. SEE ALSO
corekeeper (http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=corekeeper), autotrash(1), agedu(1), bleachbit(1). For du(1)-like but more comfortable tools, see ncdu(1) (text-mode), baobab(1) (GNOME), filelight(1) (KDE), xdiskusage(1) (X tool calling du(1) itself), or xdu(1) (X tool reading du(1) output from STDIN). AUTHOR
Unburden Home Dir is written and maintained by Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch> LICENSE
Unburden Home Dir is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or any later version at your option. Unburden Home Directory May 2012 UNBURDEN-HOME-DIR(1)