Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers regexp: match string that contains list of chars Post 302462491 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 14th of October 2010 10:57:54 AM
Old 10-14-2010
If you want to use return codes (like grep -q)
Code:
awk '/a/&&/b/&&/c/{f=1;exit}END{if(!f){exit 1}}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegExp negative match not working

or I don't know how to make it work ... Hello im trying to build regexp that will match me single string or function call inside of brackets for example I have : <% myFunction("blah",foo) %> or <% myVar %> and not match : <% if(myFunction("blah",foo)==1) %> or <% while(myvar < 3){... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp to get first line of string

Hi everybody for file in * #Bash performs filename expansion #+ on expressions that globbing recognizes. do output="`grep -n "$1" "$file"`" echo "$file: `expr "$output" : '\(^.*$\)'`" done In the above bash script segment, I try to print just the first line of string named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regexp: no match across newlines

Hi. Here's a tricky one (at least to me): I have a file named theFile.txt (UTF-8) that contains the following: a b cWhen I execute perl -pe 's|a.*c|d|sg' theFile.txtin bash 3.2 on MAC OS X 10.6, I get no match, i.e. the result is a b cagain. Any clues why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BatManWSL
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string until regexp from backside

Hi, I searched in the forums, but I didn't find a good solution. My problem is: I have a string like "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D101010203". I just want to have the string until the D100430, so that the string should look like: "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D" The last characters after the D can be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elifchen
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on TCL regexp and match

Hello everyone, I'm new in tcl scripting. I'm currently studying a tcl script and came across this line: regexp {(\d+)(\S?)} $opts match opt swi According to my understanding, this line means to search in the opts variable for one or more digit, followed by a non-whitespace character... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp for string that might contain a given character

I'm probably just not thinking of the correct term to search for :-) But I want to match a pattern that might be 'ABC' or '1ABC' there might be three characters, or there might be four, but if there are four, the first has to be 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add an string at every x chars

Hi All, I have a file fo around 15k bytes which i need to insert a string " + "at every 250 bytes. I found some ideas here using perl to split into lines and tried to addapt it but the results where not satisfactory for instance i tried to change #!/usr/bin/perl $teststring =... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadu
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove newline chars based on pattern mis-match

Greetings Experts, I am in AIX; I have a file generated through awk after processing the input files. Now I need to replace or remove the new-line characters on all lines that doesn't have a ; which is the last character on the line. I tried to use sed 's/\n/ /g' After checking through the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only the chars that match a given set in a string

For a given string that may contain any ASCII chars, i.e. that matches .*, find and print only the chars that are in a given subset. The string could also have numbers, uppercase, special chars such as ~!@#$%^&*(){}\", whatever a user could type in without going esoteric For simplicity take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naderra
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
re_comp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       re_comp(3C)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - compile and execute regular expressions SYNOPSIS
#include <re_comp.h> char *re_comp(const char *string); int re_exec(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
The re_comp() function converts a regular expression string (RE) into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. The re_exec() func- tion compares the string pointed to by the string argument with the last regular expression passed to re_comp(). If re_comp() is called with a null pointer argument, the current regular expression remains unchanged. Strings passed to both re_comp() and re_exec() must be terminated by a null byte, and may include NEWLINE characters. The re_comp() and re_exec() functions support simple regular expressions, which are defined on the regexp(5) manual page. The regular expressions of the form {m}, {m,}, or {m,n} are not supported. RETURN VALUES
The re_comp() function returns a null pointer when the string pointed to by the string argument is successfully converted. Otherwise, a pointer to one of the following error message strings is returned: No previous regular expression Regular expression too long unmatched ( missing ] too many () pairs unmatched ) Upon successful completion, re_exec() returns 1 if string matches the last compiled regular expression. Otherwise, re_exec() returns 0 if string fails to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression is invalid (indicating an internal error). ERRORS
No errors are defined. USAGE
For portability to implementations conforming to X/Open standards prior to SUS, regcomp(3C) and regexec(3C) are preferred to these func- tions. See standards(5). SEE ALSO
grep(1), regcmp(1), regcmp(3C), regcomp(3C), regexec(3C), regexpr(3GEN), regexp(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 26 Feb 1997 re_comp(3C)