Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX For NIM: NFS file system problem Post 302462470 by zxmaus on Thursday 14th of October 2010 10:07:23 AM
Old 10-14-2010
ok trying to summarize:
you tried to export a filesystem on s_semdev called /dr_s_zeus/mksysb/dr_s_zeus to the server dr_s_zeus ?
How did you export - public filesystem ? and did you explicitely allow root access to dr_s_zeus ?
Regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mounting a NFS network file system across platforms - Solaris to AIX

Hi all, Kind of an emergency situation, I have to NFS mount an AIX filesystem on to a Sun Solaris OS (5.10). Typically from Sun to Sun is: mount -F nfs <remote file system>/dir <mount point> Which of course doesn't work if the remote file system is another OS (like AIX). Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Is it possible to re-export a exported NFS file system?

Hi... Is it possible to re-export a exported NFS file system? If no, Why? Let me know, if any further details are required about the question. Thanks in advance Adams:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adams Nave
5 Replies

3. AIX

Cannot access NFS file system

I create a NFS file system. I can read this system from client, however, I cannot write anything in this folder. Why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to export AIX File system NFS to Windows ?

Hello, Can someone please point to an easy document or steps how to export AIX file system /whatever to Windows O/S Basically Windows should see this filesystem / directory and should be able to write in this filesystem / directory Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

5. AIX

changing values for nfs shared file system on aix

Hi, I want to change the values for shared file system in aix for that I have run the command smitty chnfsexp but I am not getting the all the values which I have seen while adding the file system while exporting example smitty chnfsexp but after selecting shared file system using F4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check whether file system is local or NFS?

Hi, suppose I have file system path say /foo/bar/baz then how would I find out whether it is local file system or NFS? If it is NFS then I want to find out the host where file system is located. Thanks, Paresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: masaniparesh
5 Replies

7. AIX

Write once on NFS file system

Hello Guru's We are trying to save some data for 10 -15 yrs. so we created a NFS share file system and mounted on AIX 5.3 servers, keeping in mind that we might need to replace the expired disk/bad disk every 2 yrs or 4 yrs. Now we are trying to solve. How to protect it from getting deleted... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
6 Replies

8. AIX

NIM NFS file system cannot unmount

Hello, I have a script on my NIM Master that runs with crons and performs mksysb backups of all NIM Clients once a week. There is a problem with one of the clients as it stucks and never finishes the mksysb backups. I tried to unmount the NFS file system created by the NIM in order to perform... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
5 Replies

9. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to mount previously-working NFS share from NIM to LPAR

Right, now that I've finally worked out this website, I'll ask my question! I am having an absolute nightmare with NFS on AIX. I have used it many times, and I know what I'm doing, however I cannot fathom what is going on here. I have 2 LPARs, sitting on the same physical host. They are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmooredba
12 Replies
exports(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							exports(4)

NAME
exports - Defines remote mount points for NFS mount requests SYNOPSIS
/etc/exports DESCRIPTION
The exports file specifies remote mount points for the NFS mount protocol per the NFS server specification (see Network File System Proto- col Specification, RFC1094). Each entry in the /etc/exports file consists of a filesystem or directory name followed by an optional list of options or an optional list of identifiers or both. The identifiers define which remote hosts can mount that particular filesystem or directory. The identifiers listed beside the name of each filesystem or directory can be either host names, IP addresses, or NIS netgroups names. If no identifiers are listed, the entry is exported to all hosts. A backslash character () in the right-most position of a line indicates line continuation. A number sign (#) either at the beginning of a line or at the end of a syntax line marks a comment that extends to the end of that line. You cannot use a number sign at the end of a line containing a backslash character because the backslash nullifies the end of line character. Note that the mount command will touch the /etc/exports file when issued with the -t nfs option. If you create a new /etc/exports file, you should ensure that its ownership is equivalent to that of the default, which is; bin:bin (3:4). The format of the exports file is as follows: pathname [option ...] [identifier ...] #comments The pathname specifies the name of a mounted local filesystem or a directory of a mounted local filesystem. The pathname must begin in column 1. The following are valid export file options: Maps client superuser access to uid 0 for all hosts mounting this path. If you want to allow client superusers access to the filesystem or directory with the same permissions as a local superuser, use -root=0. Use -root=0 only if you trust the superuser on the client system. The default is for client superusers to be mapped to uid -2, which maps a client superuser to nobody. This limits access to world accessible files. If both the -root=0 option and the -anon=uid option are used, the root option overrides the uid specified in anon for client superusers. Maps the client superusers on the specified hosts only to uid 0. The format for the hostlist argument is as follows: client[:client]... The client specification can be a host name or IP address. By default, client superusers are mapped to -2. This option overrides the uid specified in -anon=uid for client superusers in hostlist. Maps anonymous users to the specified uid. Client superusers are considered anonymous by the NFS server, as are requests that come in without UNIX authentication. By default, anonymous users are mapped to uid -2. Setting anon to -1 disables anonymous access. The filesystem or directory is exported read-only (default is read-write). The -o option is a synonym for -ro for backward compatibility. limits read-write access to the hosts specified. All other hosts allowed to mount this path are granted read-only access. The format for the hostlist argument is as follows: client[:client]... The client specification can be a host name or IP address. If both the -ro and -rw=hostlist options are specified, -rw prevails. Exports a filesystem or directory for WebNFS public access. Note that only one exported filesystem can have this option set. Note When the -public option is set, the mount access list is ignored by the WebNFS server. This means that all hosts using the WebNFS protocol have access to this directory. After setting the -public option, be sure to send the mountd process a HUP signal. See kill(1) for further information. Used with -public option. Enables the server to look for an index.html file when given a directory name. Specifies the hosts to grant mount access to. The format for the hostlist argument is as follows: client[:client]... The client specification can be a host name, IP address, or NIS network group. This option is provided for readability and compatibility with certain export file formats. Alternatively, to identify the client systems who are allowed access to this export use the whitespace separated identifier list described below. The options can be applied to both file system and directory entries in /etc/exports. Alternatively, you can list options using only one leading dash and separating them with commas as in -option[,option].... You use the identifier field to specify host names, network groups, or both, separated by white space that specify the access list for this export. Host names can optionally contain the local BIND domain name. A whitespace character in the left-most position of a line indi- cates line continuation. Note If no hosts or netgroups are specified, the mount daemon exports this file system or directory to anyone requesting it. See the mountd(8) reference page for information on how to limit this scope to known hosts or to hosts in the same BIND domain. For example, suppose you enter: /usr -root=0 milan kuan_yin.cis.berkeley.edu /usr/local 555.555.55.55 /u2 -ro /u3/dir1 -rw=milan:venice:florence /u3/dir2 -root=milan,access=venice:florence /u3/dir3 -root=0,access=milan:venice:florence /u3/dir4 -root=0 milan venice florence /u3/dir5 -root=milan -anon=-1 /u3/dir6 -ro -public milan venice florence If /usr, /u2 and /u3 are local file system mount points, this specifies the following: /usr is exported read-write to hosts milan and kuan_yin.cis.berkeley.edu with root mapped to uid=0. /usr/local is exported read-write to host 555.555.55.55 with root mapped to -2. (For security reasons, this example uses the fictitious IP address 555.555.55.55.) /u2 is exported to all hosts read-only with root mapped to -2. /u3/dir1 is exported read-write to hosts milan, venice, and florence and read-only to all other hosts. For all hosts, root is mapped to -2. /u3/dir2 is exported with root mapped to 0 to host milan. Hosts milan, venice, and florence are allowed to mount this directory read-write. Root on hosts venice and florence is mapped to -2. /u3/dir3 is exported read-write and with root mapped to 0 to hosts milan, venice, and florence. /u3/dir4 is exported in the same manner as the previous example. /u3/dir5 is exported read-write to all hosts. Anonymous users are not allowed to mount this directory, with the exception of the client superuser on host milan. Root is mapped to 0 on host milan and to -2 on all other hosts. /u3/dir6 Hosts milan, venice, and florence are allowed to mount this directory read-only. All other hosts have read-only WebNFS access, but cannot mount this directory. Each file system that you want to allow clients to mount must be explicitly defined. Exporting only the root (/) will not allow clients to mount /usr. Exporting only /usr will not allow clients to mount /usr/local, if it is a file system. Duplicate directory entries are not allowed. The first entry is valid and following duplicates are ignored. Desired export options must be explicitly specified for each exported resource: file system or directory. If a file system and subdirecto- ries within it are exported, the options associated with the file system are not ``inherited.'' You do not need to export an entire file system to allow clients to mount subdirectories within it. The access list associated with each exported resource identifies which clients can mount that resource with the specified options. For example, you can export an entire file system read-only, with a subdirectory within it exported read-write to a subset of clients. If a client that is not identified in the export access list of a directory attempts to mount it, then access is checked against the closest exported ancestor. If mount access is allowed at a higher level in the directory tree of the file system, the export options associated with the successful match will be in effect. To make a change to the exports file and have it take effect immediately, send the mountd process a HUP signal. Otherwise, the mountd process will reread the exports file the next time it receives a mount request from an NFS client or a showmount -e request. RELATED INFORMATION
Daemons: mountd(8), nfsd(8) Commands: showmount(8) Files: hosts(4), netgroup(4) Network Administration delim off exports(4)