Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command line user input validation Post 302462439 by felipe.vinturin on Thursday 14th of October 2010 08:26:24 AM
Old 10-14-2010
Have you tried using "case" statement?

Code:
read daemonOption

case "${daemonOption}" in
     "value 1" | "value 11") <do something>;;
     "value 2") <do something>;;
     "value n") <do something>;;
     *) echo "Invalid value.";;
esac

# Example
a=10
case "$a" in
	"1" | "11") echo 1;;
	"2") echo 2;; 
	"10") echo 10;;
	*) echo "Invalid value"
esac

Also, if you want only numbers, you can use:
Code:
# ...
read daemonOption

expr ${daemonOption} + 1 1>/dev/null 2>&1
exprRetCode=${?}

if [ ${exprRetCode} -ne 0 ]
then
       echo "WARN: Only number allowed."
fi

Regards!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input validation ?

I am trying to validate user input, at the moment what i have is as below :- echo "\n\tPlease, enter package name to import: \c" read PACKAGE So far this works perfect , But if the user does not input any thing it stalls :( What I need is, If the user does not enter the name of the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line inputs validation

Hi, I have a script called read.sh that takes a file as input. Now I want to make that script take the file as input with a -f option preceding the filename. How can I do this validation. How can I find whether the given option is -f or not inside the script. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a line of text from user input?

Hiii I wanna a read a line of text from standard input. The user enter data like this way name phone_no month1_salary month2_salary that is user enter the name ,phone no and salary of 2 months in a single line by giving spaces. I wanna add the 3rd and 4th fields ...ie add both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do validation the input requirement with if/else

Hello Everyone, I have the following script; ------------------------------------------------------------------ #!/bin/ksh set HSC=$1 set SEX=$2 set EXP='export ORACLE_SID=AFISDB' if ($#argv !=2); then echo Usage $0 HSC SEX else date > modify_gender_trace.txt $EXP echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input validation of file

Hi, I'm trying to do input validation for a file. If the user fails to enter a file name, the script should prompt for the file name or exit. I'm using this script to integrate with a bigger script which does ftp of the files which are "read". #!/bin/ksh echo "enter a file name" if then... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a line containing a string from user input

I have code that accepts input from a user, and when the user hits enter it is supposed to delete that whole line from the file. echo "Which record? " read record sed '/$record/d' file However, it does not delete it. Any help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itech4814
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from the user from the command line and execute commands basedon that?

Hi, I am using solaris 10 and bash shell.Script execution follows below.Initially it will check whether a directory exists or not if does not exist it will create it.(This I have completed) Second step:I have four users say user1,user2,user3,user4.Script should prompt for the user id and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
11 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Validation in user input in batch script

I need to insert the validation in my batch script.When user enter the value it should be numeric+minimum length should be 2 for e.g. 02,03 if he puts 1a,1A,2a3 t hen should print the message that it is wrong and print te message enter valid value. Echo RC is in format of 02 set /p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Put the numeric validation in user input when value is 5.1.2.3

Hi I need to put the validation in batch script when user will enter the build number it should be numeric.I can put the validation for numeric values but there is .(dot) in number so it would not take it as numeric. Is it possible we can store it in variable and remove the .(dot) from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Email ID Validation

Hi Experts, I've a script where users will input the email id. I want to loop the script until the user enter proper email id. Its validating for all condition and error out if any wrong data, but for one condition alone its not erroring out. Capture_EmailID() { echo -e "Please Enter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
1 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)