Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between words and not between numbers Post 302462371 by essemario on Thursday 14th of October 2010 05:33:36 AM
Old 10-14-2010
Hi,

Thank you for helping me. The "test" example was just that.... An example. So that is not a problem, it was just to simplify.

The full thing:

1) extracting a number from a file and checking if it is different from what is supposed to be
Code:
set thenumber = `grep "something" $file | awk '{print $9}'`
if ($thenumber != 1500) then
    echo ERROR

The above works ok

2) same as before, but in this case the thing to check is a word (or even more than one, but now I am testing with 1 word only). It does not seem working even with square brackets
Code:
set theword = `grep "somethingelse" $file | awk '{print $6}'`
if [$theword != NOT] then
echo ERROR

At stage two I have
Code:
if: Expression Syntax.

I tried to quote "NOT", no difference

---------- Post updated at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:05 AM ----------

Sorry, I've seen the problem (I think)

I had
Code:
=! for !=

---------- Post updated at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:09 AM ----------

It works but in the other way round

Code:
grep "somethingelse" $file | awk '{print $6}'

is NOT

so when I do

Code:
if [NOT != NOT] then
echo ERROR

I expect to do not see the error message, but I have it.

For some reason the word "NOT" extracted with grep is different from the second "NOT"?

I tried anyway to type manually also the first "NOT" (skipping the grep part, and I still have the error message: what is different between the 2 "NOT"?

Code:
if [NOT != NOT] then
echo ERROR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to separate numbers and words from a file using shell scripts

Hi, How to separate numbers and words(with full alphabets) in a particular file and store it in two different files. Please help me out for this.Using shell scripting. :confused::confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
1 Replies

2. Web Development

Query to print numbers in words

Hi, If i give a number say "1234" the output of mysql query should be: one thousand and twenty four How to write mysql query for this? With regards Vanitha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers below words with awk

Hi all, Please some help over here. I have a Sales.txt file containing info in blocks for every sold product in the pattern showed below (only for 2 products). NEW BLOCK SALE DATA PRODUCT SERIAL 79833269999 146701011945004 .Some other data .Some... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query to print numbers in words

Hi, I have to write a shell script that converts numbers in to words below is what i wrote.My script is not running. ----------------------------------- echo -n "Enter number : " read n len= echo $n | wc -c echo " number in words : " for ( i=1; i<len; i++ ) do num=echo $n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the column that begins with certain words/numbers

Hi guys, I have got a file which doesn't have the same number of columns in each line. I would like to print the second column and the one that begins with 33= and has some numbers after '33=' Can you please help me asap? Cheers (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexandra_ola
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calculate the difference between numbers in lines of file

Hi everyone, i have files containing lines of number: 109 107 67 62 .. .. i want to calculate the difference between numbers in lines 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and so on. would someone help me please?. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahidayat
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to sort words and numbers associated with them.

Hi. I have a file containing words and numbers associated with them as follows - c 2 b 5 c 5 b 6 a 10 b 16 c 18 a 19 b 21 c 27 a 28 b 33 a 76 a 115 c 199 c 251 a 567 a 1909 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maq
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put numbers against the words

Hi All, I tried to solve this but the result gives me all zeros for one file. I failed to do for all 500 files. I have some 500 files with the extension .dat I have another set of files; 500 in number with extension .dic I created these .dic files by using sort -u from the actual .dat files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding numbers matching with words

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 1 abc 2 abc 3 abc 4 abc 5 bcd 1 bcd 3 bcd 3 bcd 5 cde 7 This file is just a miniature version of what I really have. Original file is some 1 million lines long. I have tried to come up with the code for what I wish to accomplish... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files with numbers and taking difference in third file

Hi All, I have two files in the following format, with numbers being defined under columns(described by a set of headers) and rows(again defined by a set of identifiers) 2013 2013 Make200 Make201 Merc BMW Jpur Del ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)