Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to count number of occurances of string in a file? Post 302462041 by birei on Wednesday 13th of October 2010 04:48:22 AM
Old 10-13-2010
Hi,

I would change a little bit your script, test this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

while read line; do
    count=$(grep "^${line}$" a.txt | wc -l)
    echo "$line $count"
done < b.txt

Regards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number chracters occurances in a line

Hi Could anybody tell me how to count the number of occurances of a character within a LINE. actually i have a single line with words seperated with '+' chracter e.g. abc+def+ghj+jkl+asd i want to separte the words above. Please provide the necessary logic in the form of a SHELL... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of a character in a file

I want to find the number of occurences of a character in a file. How do i do it. Eg: $cat file1.txt Welcome to World of Unix. $ If i want to find the occurences of 'o' then I should be getting 3. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurances in a file

Hi, I have a fixed width file in the following format Sr.No A.No Name 1 2 PPP 3 4 PPP 5 6 TTT 7 8 OOO 9 10 OOO 11 12 OOO The 3rd column starts at position 10 and ends at 15. I want to count the number of occurances of each Name and output to a file Example in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk-how count the number of occurances of a pattern, when don't know the pattern

I've written a script to count the total size of SAN storage LUNs, and also display the LUN sizes. From server to server, the LUNs sizes differ. What I want to do is count the occurances as they occur and change. These are the LUN sizes: 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyber111
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string

Hi, I am trying out different scripts in PERL. I want to take a line/string as an input from the user and count the number of occurrances of all the alphabets (a..z) in the string. I tried doingit like this : #! /opt/exp/bin/perl print "Enter a string or line : "; $string = <STDIN>; chop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of X Y Z in a file in 1 go.

Hi. I need to count multiple occurrences of X Y Z in a file in 1 go. At the moment I have the following scripts: ssh readonly@$ServerIP 'YEAR=xx;DAY=xx;MONTH=xx;LMONTH=xx;for i in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 \ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23; do cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: msullivan
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence of a string in file

if there's a file containing: money king money queen money cat money also money king all those strings are on one line in the file. how can i find out how many times "money king" shows up in the line? egrep -c "money king" wont work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurances for multiple files

I have some text files as shown below. I would like to add the values of each string. Your help would be appreciated!! file1.txt SUS 2 PRS 2 ALI 1 PRS 1 GLK 2 file2.txt PRS 3 GLK 6 SUS 18 Desired output SUS 20 PRS 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep pattern file and count occurances

Guys I am trying grep to read from pattern file and count occurances of each word. input is firstplace secondplace secondpot patternfile is place first second i want the following. 1-count number of times keywords in patternfile occurs in begining of each line in input file. so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
12 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)