Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parsing the id command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing the id command Post 302461856 by BeefStu on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 02:42:10 PM
Old 10-12-2010
Parsing the id command

I'm looking to parse the output of the id command.

Code:
uid=205(oracle) gid=203(dba) groups=4(adm),207(oinstall),202(ndm),206(eis)

Is there an easy way I can get the user name (in this case "oracle) using a sed or awk command. The username will always be inside the parenthsis
and proceeded with uid=<some number>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who answer

Last edited by radoulov; 10-12-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Added code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing the command line arguments

Is there a way to get the command line arguments. I am using getopt(3) but if the arguments are more than one for a particular option than it just ignores the second argument. For eg ./a.out -x abc def now abd will be got with -x using getopt "( x : )" and string abc\0def will get stored... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakhanna
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output from ls command

I have to test the directory name which is obtained from for dir in `ls -l|grep $9 ' i need to check whether it is directory ( if yes, I have to check the first 3 character fo the directory how can I do that? Please help me thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output from a diff command...

hi, i have a script which pipes the output of a diff -rq command into a separate file/ it would read something like this: Files mod1/lala/xml/test1.txt and mod2/lala/xml/test1.txt differ Only in mod2/lala/xml: test2.txt What i need to do is to parse this file so i end up with just a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing return from cal command

Jim , Anyone I do not have GNU date Besides I am particularly interested in how one can parse the return from the cal command. Say do - cal 11 2008 - and parse out a given date, say the 8th and return that the 8th was Saturday. ( diffrentiating between S for Saturday and Sunday , also in the case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragrid
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing command line arguments in bash

Looking for a little help parsing some command line arguments in a bash script I am working on, this is probably fairly basic to most, but I do not have much experience with it. At the command line, when the script is run, I need to make sure the argument passed is a file, it exists in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbmax626
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions for command line parsing

Hi all I need to put a command line parser together to parse numeric fields and ranges passed to a script. I'm looking for a bash function that is as elegant and simple as possible. So the input would be of the following form - 1,2,8-12 This would return - 1,2,8,9,10,11,12 Input can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML using command line

Hi Experts, How do I parse a XML with below contents <saw:user name="mbussey@xyz.com" /> <saw:user name="kimmy.chan@pqr.com" /> <saw:user name="chudgins@gmail.com" /> and retrieve below output ? mbussey@xyz.com kimmy.chan@pqr.com chudgins@gmail.com ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pauldx
17 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)