Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming mmap and malloc, whats the difference? Post 302461580 by dragonpoint on Monday 11th of October 2010 05:42:16 PM
Old 10-11-2010
My current implementation of mmap is:
fd = open("/dev/mem",O_RDWR);
BUFFER =(unsigned char *) mmap(NULL, RANGE, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED,fd, ADDR);
here ADDR is the physical address in the RAM.

I believe here am mapping virtual memory from fd or /dev/mem and not a disk file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mmap

Hello. I'm writing some random access i/o software on Solaris 8 using mmap64 to memory map large files (my test file is ~25 GB). The abbreviated code fragment is: fd = open(cbuf,O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE); struct stat statbuf; fstat(fd,&statbuf); off_t len =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusm
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats the difference between...

the various distros of free Linux and other *nix OSes? I'm curious. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hype.it
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux OR Unix Whats The Difference!

What is the difference bettween linux and unix? Sorry but I am really new to this! :confused: Also are they BOTH free :-D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesthemagicia
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats the difference between $* and $@

Hi, whats the difference between $* and $@ in command line arguments to a shell scripts (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the difference between zombie orpha and defunct processes

can some one please explain zombie orphan defunct and how they r related (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats the difference between $status and $?

Hi, In linux we have exit status variable ($?) and status which tells whether last command was successfull or not. Can someone please tell me what is difference between both. Both tells whether command was successful or not, Any particular difference between them? Thanks in Advance. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

7. Programming

mmap()

how to use mmap() to map a file to memory space. Do you have any simple program???? Because I have to implement lot of concepts into it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokult
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

mmap

Descriptions: Develop a program that uses mmap() to map a file to memory space. Prepare such a file by yourself and do the follows. <LI class=MsoNormal>Display the content of the file after mapping; <LI class=MsoNormal>Output how many digits included in the file; <LI class=MsoNormal>Replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

9. Programming

mmap

hai, How do we map 'n' number of files into memory by using mmap system call?? Thanks in advance...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
5 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

mmap

I want to know whether this is possile or ever been tried out. I want to obtain a chuck of memory using mmap() I do it so : n = mmap(0, 8000, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0); And hold on to that memory, when a process requests for memory, some memory is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
2 Replies
MEM(4)                                                       Linux Programmer's Manual                                                      MEM(4)

NAME
mem, kmem, port - system memory, kernel memory and system ports DESCRIPTION
/dev/mem is a character device file that is an image of the main memory of the computer. It may be used, for example, to examine (and even patch) the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. References to nonexistent locations cause errors to be returned. Examining and patching is likely to lead to unexpected results when read-only or write-only bits are present. Since Linux 2.6.26, and depending on the architecture, the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM kernel configuration option limits the areas which can be accessed through this file. For example: on x86, RAM access is not allowed but accessing memory-mapped PCI regions is. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1 chown root:kmem /dev/mem The file /dev/kmem is the same as /dev/mem, except that the kernel virtual memory rather than physical memory is accessed. Since Linux 2.6.26, this file is available only if the CONFIG_DEVKMEM kernel configuration option is enabled. It is typically created by: mknod -m 640 /dev/kmem c 1 2 chown root:kmem /dev/kmem /dev/port is similar to /dev/mem, but the I/O ports are accessed. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/port c 1 4 chown root:kmem /dev/port FILES
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/port SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), ioperm(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-01-02 MEM(4)