Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find root owned world writable files? Post 302461443 by methyl on Monday 11th of October 2010 08:02:07 AM
Old 10-11-2010
Please post the exact complete and total statement from your stated source and state the exact and complete and total list of relevant software you are running in this context and describe in exact and complete and total detail regarding which software is under the spotlight in today's "server hardening" exercise.

Please, please, please do not relay your own understanding of this issue but the complete and total detail of this issue.

Last edited by methyl; 10-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: typos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI to access / edit "root" owned config files

I am trying to write a CGI program which accesses UNIX configuration files and changes them as required. The thing is, I don't want the CGI program to be "root" owned - it's Perl based! Is there any way that the Perl CGI program can request a username and password - and then use this to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to find world writable files? (AIX)

Hi Group, Could someone tell me how to find world writable files on my server? I can use find command in conjuction with -perm option and I will get an output. But what I need is an output which looks similar to ls -l output. Meaning, it should give me the full path of the file along with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matifr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i find out the list of users whose terminal is writable?

Hello, i just wanted to know how do i find out the list of users whose terminal is writable?i mean i used who -T but this gives a list of all users whose terminal is writable or blocked and not writable. So how do i do this?I am new to Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user able to delete directory owned by root

I've tried to figure this out. I'm only about 6 mos into my AIX admin duties, but I've got a "security" problem I can't figure out. I've created a sub directory as follows: drwx------ 2 root system 256 Apr 13 16:02 mike I've logged in another session with the following user: $ id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpheine
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directories owned by a given user

Hi, I want to know if the is a way I can list the directories owned by a given user. Say i am logged in as that user. I found out the find command lists the files owned by a certain user/group but i want to know only the directories and if possible the permissions associated with these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojabhat
6 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.x OpenSSH choot and non-root owned

Good day. I was looking at implementing a chroot environment using openssh. I know I can use the sshd_config file and dictate that it is to use chroot for a specific directory for a user/group. However, the issue with this is that it is has to be root owned. To my knowledge, there is no mount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
0 Replies

7. AIX

find command to list all the 777 files and directories owned by root user

Hi I'm logged in to an AIX box now and we need to do an audit on this box. cbssapr01:# pwd / Which command will show all the files and directories owned by root user with permissions as 777 ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read authorization for everybody on sub-directory owned by root

Hello. On my family laptop, I have a directory named /local. It is owned by root. I want to create a sub-directory named documents ( /local/documents ). I want to exclude exec for every body in that directory I want every authenticated linux user can create a sub directory ( ie :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

World writable home dirs

what is wrong with this script? I get: ./perm.sh: command substitution: line 21: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' ./perm.sh: command substitution: line 22: syntax error: unexpected end of file Script: #!/bin/bash for dir in `/bin/cat /etc/passwd | /bin/egrep -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenja9
4 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Create zip file from root owned fstab

I want to zip up my fstab file for backup purposes. This does not work because of permission issues. cd /etc/ zip -u fstab.zip fstab Can I use this with zip? echo xxx | sudo -S or change fstab owner to me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies
PMDAMMV(1)						      General Commands Manual							PMDAMMV(1)

NAME
pmdammv - memory mapped values performance metrics domain agent (PMDA) SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mmv/pmdammv [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-U username] DESCRIPTION
pmdammv is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports application level performance metrics using memory mapped files. It offers an extremely low overhead instrumentation facility that is well-suited to long running, mission critical applications where it is desirable to have performance metrics and availability information permanently enabled. The mmv PMDA exports instrumentation that has been added to an application using the MMV APIs (refer to mmv_stats_init(3) and mmv(5) for further details). These APIs can be called from several languages, including C, C++, Perl, Python and Java (via the separate ``Parfait'' class library). A brief description of the pmdammv command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named mmv.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdammv is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names, help text and values for the mmv performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mmv # ./Install Note that the default mechanism for sharing memory mapped values between instrumented applications and the mmv PMDA involves the creation of a world-writeable $PCP_TMP_DIR/mmv directory with the sticky-bit set (similar to /tmp and /var/tmp, for example). This suffices to allow any application, running under any user account, to communicate with the PMDA (which runs under the "pcp" account by default). This may not be desirable for every environment, and one should consider the security implications of any directory setup like this (similar classes of issues exist as those that affect the system temporary file directories). The installation process will not overwrite any existing $PCP_TMP_DIR/mmv directory. Thus it is possible to implement an alternate permis- sions strategy with no world-writable directory for sharing files - any directory readable by user or group "pcp" will suffice. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mmv # ./Remove pmdammv is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdammv $PCP_TMP_DIR/mmv directory housing memory mapped value files $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mmv/help default help text file for the mmv metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mmv/Install installation script for the pmdammv agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mmv/Remove undo installation script for the pmdammv agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/mmv.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdammv PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), pmcd(1), mmv_stats_init(3), mmv(5), pcp.conf(5) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDAMMV(1)