Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass parameter to User defined function in shell script? Post 302461440 by frans on Monday 11th of October 2010 07:56:08 AM
Old 10-11-2010
getting parameters in a function is the same as in a script. If you call the script like
Code:
InsertRecord "$OLD_VAL" "$NEW_VAL" "$DATE"

you can retrieve the values inside the function (as in your example)
Code:
    VALUES (
    $1,
    $2,
    $3
    );

But the variables in the script are also visible from inside the function, so you can refer directly to them by their names "$OLD_VAL" "$NEW_VAL" "$DATE"
This User Gave Thanks to frans For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass parameter from sqlplus(procedure completed) to your shell script

if then # mail -s "Import failed file does not exist" sanjay.jaiswal@xyz.com echo "FILE does not exist" exit 1 fi echo "FILE EXIST" size=-1 set $(du /export/home/oracle/nas/scott21.dmp.gz) while do echo "Inside the loop" size=$1 set $(du... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanora600
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameter to function

HI all I have a code like ############################################## minyear() { curryear=$1 echo $curryear } ##Main Program ## minyear exit ####### when i execute "sh scriptname 2005" output should be like 2005 but the output is blank. I guess i need to pass parameter to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to display function names (called & defined) in a C++ Source Code

Hello to all, I am looking for a way to display only the names of function (calls & definition) of a C++ source code.There is already a post related to this, but the script is to find the functions using a specific variable, and the replies are not that convincing since they cannot be used for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable as a parameter to DB2 database from shell script

I need to pass a variable as a parameter from shell script into a DB2 database. var=bhuk_1123_Q_11/22/09 select * from tbl1 where serial_id='$var'; I have tried executing it using db2 -tvf scriptname Somebody please help me out with this. It is throwing an error. Please tell me how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the maximum number of parameter we can pass to a shell script function?

what is the maximum number of parameter we can pass to a shell script function (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter to nawk from shell script

I need to parse log files using nawk, but I'm not able to pass script input argument (date) to nawk, for example: ------------ #!/bin/ksh read date nawk -F, '{if($1==date) print $4" "$5}' ------------- Is there a way to pass an argument to nawk from shell script. Many thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
8 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to Dynamically Pass Parameter to plsql Function & Capture its Output Value in a Shell Variable?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: #! /bin/ksh v="ORG_ID" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujitdas2104
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD