Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching a word in multiple files Post 302461299 by rakesh_411 on Sunday 10th of October 2010 02:18:57 AM
Old 10-10-2010
I have infact tried with grep -w xyz *.filename but the problem here is since i have huge data to be processed its taking days to get my output. Is there any faster means of searching in unix than grep and sed . Something like pointers we use in C prog

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching multiple files with multiple expressions

I am using a DEC ALPHA running Digital UNIX (formly DEC OSF/1) and ksh. I have a directory with hundreds of files that only share the extension .rpt. I would like to search that directory based on serial number and operation number and only files that meet both requirements to be printed out. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anahka
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple criteria in log files?

I would like a simple shell script that will allow me to display to screen all unsuccessful su attempts in my sulog file, for the present date. I have been trying several different combinations of commands, but I can't quite get the syntax correct. The mess I have right now (don't laugh) is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching word in files

hi all i want to search some word in file but i want that it will search in all the files that i have in all the directories i do'nt know the name of the file i know that grep command want some specified file in which command shell i used thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple patterns in files

I have a situation where I need to search for multiple strings (error messages) such as 'aborted' 'file not found' etc in directory having logs. I have put all the error messages in a text file and using the command. grep -f <textfile> <filetobegrepped> I'm doing this thru a script where I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, searching multiple files and printing returned line to new file

I am trying to find a way to utilise the full potential of my cpu cores and memory on my windows machine. Now, I am quite familiar with grep, however, running a Unix based OS is not an option right now. Unfortunately, the 32 bit grep for windows that I am running, I cannot run multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moloch
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching across multiple files if pattern is available in all files searched

I have a list of pattern in a file, I want each of these pattern been searched from 4 files. I was wondering this can be done in SED / AWK. say my 4 files to be searched are > cat f1 abc/x(12) 1 abc/x 3 cde 2 zzz 3 fdf 4 > cat f2 fdf 4 cde 3 abc 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep in Perl - Searching through multiple files

I'm attempting to use grep in Perl with very little success. What I would like to do in Perl is get the output of the following grep code: grep -l 'pattern' * This gives me a list of all the files in a directory that contain the pattern that was searched. My attempts to do this in Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for similar row(s) across multiple files

Hello Esteemed Members, I need to write a script to search for files that have one or more than one rows similar. Please note that there is no specific pattern that I am searching for. The rows can be different, I just need to find out two or more similar records in two or more files. There... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on searching for a string on multiple files

Hi all, I am sure some gurus will find a better way of doing this. FYI, I've manually modified some of the data 'coz they are somewhat confidential, so there may be some typo errors. At the moment, I have 3 files that I am trying to search for. Sometime in the future, it may go beyond 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. BSD

Searching in multiple files

I am new to unix and I would like to search multiple log files to find earliest occurrence of a text. Ex: Say I have 10 logs file each ending with .log and I want to find the text “CustomeError” . I want to find the which log file “CustomeError” comes first and lines which surround’s ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim john
4 Replies
ldns-compare-zones(1)					      General Commands Manual					     ldns-compare-zones(1)

NAME
ldns-compare-zones - read and compare two zonefiles and print differences SYNOPSIS
ldns-compare-zones [-c] [-i] [-d] [-z] [-s] ZONEFILE1 ZONEFILE2 DESCRIPTION
ldns-compare-zones reads two DNS zone files and prints number of differences. Output is formated to: +NUM_INS -NUM_DEL ~NUM_CHG The major comparison is based on the owner name. If an owner name is present in zonefile 1, but not in zonefile 2, the resource records with this owner name are considered deleted, and counted as NUM_DEL. If an owner name is present in zonefile 2, but not in zonefile 1, the resource records with this owner name are considered inserted, and counted as NUM_INS. If an owner name is present in both, but there is a difference in the amount or content of the records, these are considered changed, and counted as NUM_CHG. OPTIONS
-c Print resource records whose owner names are in both zone files, but with different resource records. (a.k.a. changed) -i Print resource records whose owner names are present only in ZONEFILE2 (a.k.a. inserted) -d Print resource records whose owner names are present only in ZONEFILE1 (a.k.a. deleted) -a Print all changes. Specifying this option is the same as specifying -c -i amd -d. -z Suppress zone sorting; this option is not recommended; it can cause records to be incorrectly marked as changed, depending of the nature of the changes. -s Do not exclude the SOA record from the comparison. The SOA record may then show up as changed due to a new serial number. Off by default since you may be interested to know if (other zone apex elements) have changed. -h Show usage and exit -v Show the version and exit AUTHOR
Written by Ondej Sury <ondrej@sury.org> for CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o. (czech domain registry) REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ondrej@sury.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. 17 Oct 2007 ldns-compare-zones(1)