Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching a word in multiple files Post 302461285 by durden_tyler on Saturday 9th of October 2010 09:59:57 PM
Old 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_411
... I tried to use grep fgrep and even sed , but ... i cannot wait for 5 days to get the total ouput .... Is there any very effective way that i can compare the word in those log files and print it.

Eg

xyz( data in file1) needs be compared with log files

1.txt
2.txt
5600.txt ( total 5600 files)
How about ?

Code:
grep xyz *.txt

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching multiple files with multiple expressions

I am using a DEC ALPHA running Digital UNIX (formly DEC OSF/1) and ksh. I have a directory with hundreds of files that only share the extension .rpt. I would like to search that directory based on serial number and operation number and only files that meet both requirements to be printed out. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anahka
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple criteria in log files?

I would like a simple shell script that will allow me to display to screen all unsuccessful su attempts in my sulog file, for the present date. I have been trying several different combinations of commands, but I can't quite get the syntax correct. The mess I have right now (don't laugh) is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching word in files

hi all i want to search some word in file but i want that it will search in all the files that i have in all the directories i do'nt know the name of the file i know that grep command want some specified file in which command shell i used thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple patterns in files

I have a situation where I need to search for multiple strings (error messages) such as 'aborted' 'file not found' etc in directory having logs. I have put all the error messages in a text file and using the command. grep -f <textfile> <filetobegrepped> I'm doing this thru a script where I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, searching multiple files and printing returned line to new file

I am trying to find a way to utilise the full potential of my cpu cores and memory on my windows machine. Now, I am quite familiar with grep, however, running a Unix based OS is not an option right now. Unfortunately, the 32 bit grep for windows that I am running, I cannot run multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moloch
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching across multiple files if pattern is available in all files searched

I have a list of pattern in a file, I want each of these pattern been searched from 4 files. I was wondering this can be done in SED / AWK. say my 4 files to be searched are > cat f1 abc/x(12) 1 abc/x 3 cde 2 zzz 3 fdf 4 > cat f2 fdf 4 cde 3 abc 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep in Perl - Searching through multiple files

I'm attempting to use grep in Perl with very little success. What I would like to do in Perl is get the output of the following grep code: grep -l 'pattern' * This gives me a list of all the files in a directory that contain the pattern that was searched. My attempts to do this in Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for similar row(s) across multiple files

Hello Esteemed Members, I need to write a script to search for files that have one or more than one rows similar. Please note that there is no specific pattern that I am searching for. The rows can be different, I just need to find out two or more similar records in two or more files. There... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on searching for a string on multiple files

Hi all, I am sure some gurus will find a better way of doing this. FYI, I've manually modified some of the data 'coz they are somewhat confidential, so there may be some typo errors. At the moment, I have 3 files that I am trying to search for. Sometime in the future, it may go beyond 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. BSD

Searching in multiple files

I am new to unix and I would like to search multiple log files to find earliest occurrence of a text. Ex: Say I have 10 logs file each ending with .log and I want to find the text “CustomeError” . I want to find the which log file “CustomeError” comes first and lines which surround’s ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim john
4 Replies
fwtmp(1M)																 fwtmp(1M)

NAME
fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records SYNOPSIS
[files] DESCRIPTION
fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output, converting binary records of the type found in to formatted ASCII records. The ASCII version is useful to enable editing, via ed(1), bad records or for general purpose maintenance of the file. The argument is used to denote that input is in ASCII form, and output is to be written in binary form. The arguments and are independent, respectively specifying ASCII input and binary output. Therefor, is an ASCII to ASCII copy and is a binary to binary copy. should be used for reading If is not used, structure is read. wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in format, corrects the time/date stamps to make the entries consistent, and writes to the stan- dard output. A can be used in place of files to indicate the standard input. If time/date corrections are not performed, will fault when it encounters certain date-change records. Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records is written to The first record is the old date denoted by the string old time placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field of the structure. The second record specifies the new date, and is denoted by the string placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field. uses these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file. nullifies date change records when writing to the standard output by setting the time field of the structure in the old date change record equal to the time field in the new date change record. This prevents and from factoring in a date change record pair more than once. In addition to correcting time/date stamps, wtmpfix checks the validity of the name field to ensure that it consists solely of alphanumeric characters or spaces. If it encounters a name that is considered invalid, it changes the login name to and writes a diagnostic to the standard error. This minimizes the risk that will fail when processing connect accounting records. DIAGNOSTICS
wtmpfix generates the following diagnostics messages: WARNINGS
generates no errors, even on garbage input. FILES
SEE ALSO
ed(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4), wtmps(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fwtmp(1M)