Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scp links! wrong permissions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting scp links! wrong permissions Post 302461092 by panyam on Friday 8th of October 2010 12:47:04 PM
Old 10-08-2010
Hi,

As of my knowledge, when your copying the directories, the "login user" will be the owner of the copied files and not the one in Source server.

Instead of copying the file as symbolic links, the whole file will be copied and you need to create the sysmbolic links explicilty after the copy.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SCP from one solaris box to another without copying links

I am doing a scp (directory)from one solaris box to another.The problem is that all links present in that directory also get copied .I do not want the links to get copied .currently I am using following syntax scp -rvp pcserver info@appudemo.sea.us.wam.net:/home/info I checked the man... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u449064
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About links

why directory has two links as default. what's the purpose? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

4. Debian

scp not preserving properties and links

I'm trying to get a number of old disks on HP-UX 10.2 copied over to a new Debian machine which has a NAS on it. The HP does not have rsync, but does have scp. Scp unfortunately does not always preserve permissions, and does not save links which were on the disk. Apparently rsync has a flag... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PasadenaDave
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

7. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional, however, one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be preceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user for obvious security reasons. DIAGNOSTICS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD