Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Beginner - What Should I Do First? Post 302460269 by amit.kanade1983 on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 10:37:22 AM
Old 10-06-2010
Hi Neo,
I apologise that i did not read the rules.After reading the rules i found that i did not follow rule no.6 and rule no.11.

regards,
Amit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help. I am a beginner.

Alrigt, I need to write a shell script where it counts the number of folders and files and dispays "My home directory has 'x' files and 'y' directories." So, I was thinking of doing this. set x = `ls | wc` so, if I have 8 files and folders in my home directory, x is not 8. now, I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lykathea Aflame
1 Replies

2. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Help

I need to write a script to test a nsort c program. I have written 8 .txt files with different cases. Also 8 .txt files with expected outcome. The shell I have written always "test pass" for the first case but always "fail" for the rest... Here is a portion of my code (as I still don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodeau
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for scripting beginner

hy guys, I have perl script provided to me but i need to convert it into shell .Can you help me in this using sed shell command. cat /etc/passwd |perl -ne '/^(\w+):\w+: (\w+)/ and print "$1, $2\n";' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh_king
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner's question

i write a shell program and i execute that after i made a bin directiry in my home directory(i didnt give any permissions) now i change to other directory.then i execute it bit it is saying " no such a file or directory" can any one help me please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner looking for help

Hello, I am trying to write a script that reads names from a file called input, removes names if they have the same letter next to each other and prints the others. e.g. Colin & John would be printed Garry & Lynn would be removed My thinking is that I read in each name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

8. Programming

beginner to c programming

hii friends i m fairy new to c programming.can any one suggest some good websites and some good books for beginner (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajchandel
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Help me please i am beginner

i have windows 8 host on Dell Laptop vmware 9 redhat 7.2 iso downloaded through redhat official site after installation on vm it only boots into text dont show graphics Please guide:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash beginner

Hello so I've stored some csv data to be read into variables like this Name,Team,Shop,Shoe etc,etc,etc,etc Code: sep="," { while IFS=$sep read Name Team Shop Shoe do count=1 dirname=$Name while do ((count++)) dirname="${Name}$count" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darklord173
4 Replies
install-user(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   install-user(1)

NAME
install-user - reads or sets a Palm UserName and UserID on a Palm Device SYNOPSIS
install-user -p /dev/pilot -u <username> -i <id> DESCRIPTION
install-user allows the user to read or change the User Name on the Pilot connected to the specified callout device. OPTIONS -p --port <port>, Use device file port to communicate with the Palm handheld device. If this is not specified, will look for the $PILOTPORT environ- ment variable. If both are not found, will fall back to /dev/pilot. -h --help Display help synopsis for install-user -v --version Display version of install-user -u --user <username>, Set the username, use quotes for spaces, as in "John Q. Public" -i --id <userid>, Set the 5-digit numeric UserID on the device (used in many application registration schemes) USAGE
The program will connect to a target Palm handheld device, and read or set the Palm UserName specified or display the Palm username and UserID if none is specified. KNOWN BUGS
install-user has no known bugs. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.pilot-link.org/ AUTHOR
install-user was originally written by D. Jeff Dionne <jeff@RyeHam.ee.ryerson.ca> Free Software Foundation Palm Computing Device Tools install-user(1)