Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Limitations of tac/cat?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Limitations of tac/cat? Post 302459553 by frans on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 02:13:26 AM
Old 10-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
As part of a quiz assigned during my unix class I was asked to write a program to ask for a file name, print read errors, and "reverse elements in a list."

I used the 'tac' command in my solution, however, I was then lectured for 5 min about the "limitations" of the 'tac' command and how a 'for' loop would have been more robust.
I think it's not an issue question but that you were asked to write a program and show what logic you would involve (in state of using the "out of the box" tac).
Don't you think so ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. Programming

tic tac AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ok i am looking for a vim coad to make a tic tae toe game (dont asky why) can any one give me a URL of help :confused: :confused: :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepicoman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want tic tac toe project in shell...

Any body pls provide me source code of tic tac toe in shell.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pushpender Sing
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Cat/tac displays nothing but vi does

Hi, Today i have seen a file which shows nothing when i use cat/tac. But when i use vi it displays a single line at the top. There are no other lines. I am curious why cat/tac doesn't display that line and only vi does? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies
TAC(1)								   User Commands							    TAC(1)

NAME
tac - concatenate and print files in reverse SYNOPSIS
tac [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, last line first. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --before attach the separator before instead of after -r, --regex interpret the separator as a regular expression -s, --separator=STRING use STRING as the separator instead of newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Jay Lepreau and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report tac bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tac is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tac programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'tac invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 TAC(1)