Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Repair HDD with approporiate partitioning Post 302459354 by Corona688 on Monday 4th of October 2010 12:40:27 PM
Old 10-04-2010
You're not listening. This isn't the bad old days when drives came with defect lists. Drives these days handle their own defects and replace bad sectors with "spare" sectors when necessary, there's a large number of spares available -- up to several % of the drive. You don't see bad sectors at all until it runs out of spares.

So, for there to be a bad sector visible to user software, there must already be thousands and thousands of bad sectors. Your drive is dying. You can't trust the "good" parts either.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with oracle repair script

I have a problem. I am attempting to create a repair script for oracle that will read in a print file and perform a repair on an oracle database using the data in the print file. My restrictions are 1) each in list (items with-in parens) must be no more the 250 lines and the last item in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows XP recovery/repair mode

hello again all, assume I can not log in to the windows installation, (maybe) because of a system file corruption or failure.. however, I do log in to the system using the windows CD with R (repair) mode, that is the command line prompt. Is there a way in that command prompt to copy the files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to repair DNS

I am using Mac OS X and my server keeps crashing every several hours or so. I have checked the log file at /var/log/system.log and the entries closest to the crash read Mar 15 22:27:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no name available via DNS for 192.168.84.21 Mar 15 22:27:23 server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
4 Replies

5. AIX

AIX mirroring repair

Hello colleagues! One day I found that a LV was not mirrored properly. Some manipulations were realized so the mirroring became well. Please look jpg attached, may be it would be useful for somebody. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaySky
4 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

Where to get windows 7 iso file of repair?

I need to make a bootable usb of windows 7 repair disc iso file so that I can use it in case my system doesn't boot up. On net I am getting complete windows 7 OS iso but I need only the repair disc for making bootable iso. I am not sure whether I used right word by using the word disc here... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

7. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition

I have a 1TB HD, suspect it had bad sectors and blocks... it was pre-installed with windows 8.0.. I was able to boot up ubuntu and looked at the partitions and run a badblocks comand to verify secotors, after getting a serious of Input and Output errors mounting the partition and doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies
mbadblocks(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mbadblocks(1)

Name
       mbadblocks - tests a floppy disk, and marks the bad blocks in the FAT

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mbadblocks command is used to mark some clusters on an MS-DOS filesystem bad. It has the following syntax:

mbadblocks [-s sectorlist|-c clusterlist|-w] drive:

If no command line flags are supplied, Mbadblocks scans an MS-DOS filesystem for bad blocks by simply trying to read them and flag them	if
       read fails. All blocks that are unused are scanned, and if detected bad are marked as such in the FAT.

This command is intended to be used right after mformat.  It is not intended to salvage data from bad disks.

Command line options
       c file
	      Use a list of bad clusters, rather than scanning for bad clusters itself.

s file
	      Use a list of bad sectors (counted from beginning of filesystem), rather than trying for bad clusters itself.

w      Write a random pattern to each cluster, then read it back and flag cluster as bad if mismatch. Only free clusters are tested in such
	      a way, so any file data is preserved.

Bugs
       Mbadblocks should (but doesn't yet :-( ) also try to salvage bad blocks which are in use by reading them repeatedly,  and  then	mark  them
       bad.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13							     mbadblocks(1)