Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use grep command in shell script? Post 302459180 by Scrutinizer on Monday 4th of October 2010 03:21:57 AM
Old 10-04-2010
You can either do this:
Code:
cd "$INPUT_FILE_FOLDER"
for file in $SEARCH_MASK_INPUT_FILE; do
  echo $file
done

Code:
for file in "$INPUT_FILE_FOLDER/"$SEARCH_MASK_INPUT_FILE; do
  echo ${file##*/}
done

BTW do not put double quotes around the pattern

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command & shell procedure's

hello, i'm trying to pluck words from a list that have exactly 3 occurances of a specified letter. I've come up with this : grep -i .*$1.*$1.*$1.* But this also selects words with 4 or more, any tips? I'm putting this into a shell procedure and want to be able to add a switch before I put the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevox
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command usage in shell

hi, I am facing a problem when i use grep command in shell script. problem is as follows... 1)i has declared an variable (say a) 2)Now i am searching for an pattern in a file and i used the followig command cat /wls_../../scripts/log.txt | grep $a-JUL-08 i am not getting any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth_t
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to Shell script for GREP command

I am using grep to capture date from a file . Since i need to use the shell script for different dates ,is it possible to pass the date parameter to the shell script the Script is as below grep -E "08 Aug 2008|2008-08-08"* somefile.txt>test.txt The above script file greps the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sud.tech
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command in shell script

Hi, I have written the following shell script - Error_String="error" var1="| grep -v note1 | grep -v note2" grep -i $Error_String /users/mqm/Pwork/Err/*.out $var1 The above script gives error saying "grep: can't open | grep: can't open grep grep: can't open -v" etc In my program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannasupp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

performance of shell script ( grep command)

Hi, I have to find out the run time for 40-45 different componets. These components writes in to a genreric log file in a single directory. eg. directory is LOG and the log file name format is generic_log_<process_id>_<date YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS>.log i am taking the run time using the time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to grep output from top command.

Hello, I want a script which would grep details from top command for specific processes. I m not sure of the PID of these processes but i know the names. $ top -c top - 16:41:55 up 160 days, 5:53, 2 users, load average: 9.36, 9.18, 8.98 Tasks: 288 total, 9 running, 279 sleeping, 0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies
APT-CONFIG(8)								APT							     APT-CONFIG(8)

NAME
apt-config - APT Configuration Query program SYNOPSIS
apt-config [-hv] [-o=config string] [-c=file] {[shell] | [dump]} DESCRIPTION
apt-config is an internal program used by various portions of the APT suite to provide consistent configurability. It accesses the main configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf in a manner that is easy to use by scripted applications. Unless the -h, or --help option is given one of the commands below must be present. shell shell is used to access the configuration information from a shell script. It is given pairs of arguments, the first being a shell variable and the second the configuration value to query. As output it lists a series of shell assignments commands for each present value. In a shell script it should be used like: OPTS="-f" RES=`apt-config shell OPTS MyApp::options` eval $RES This will set the shell environment variable $OPTS to the value of MyApp::options with a default of -f. The configuration item may be postfixed with a /[fdbi]. f returns file names, d returns directories, b returns true or false and i returns an integer. Each of the returns is normalized and verified internally. dump Just show the contents of the configuration space. OPTIONS
All command line options may be set using the configuration file, the descriptions indicate the configuration option to set. For boolean options you can override the config file by using something like -f-,--no-f, -f=no or several other variations. -h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. SEE ALSO
apt.conf(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-config returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Jason Gunthorpe APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt Linux 29 February 2004 APT-CONFIG(8)