Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace words with the first characters Post 302458985 by bartus11 on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 04:31:48 AM
Old 10-03-2010
Code:
echo '3 october 2010' | awk '{$2=substr($2,1,3)}1'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display text between two words/characters

Using sed or awk, I need to display text between two words/characters. Below are two example inputs and the desired output. In a nutshell, I need the date-range value between the quotes (but only the first occurance of date-range as there can be more than one). Example One Input: xml-report... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmichaelson
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for pulling words of 4 to 7 characters from a file

Even just advice on where to start would be helpful. Thank You (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azeus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting symbols and characters between two words

Hi Please tell me how could i delete symbols, whitespaces, characters, words everything between two words in a line. Let my file is aaa BB ccc ddd eee FF kkk xxx 123456 BB 44^& iop FF 999 xxx uuu rrr BB hhh nnn FF 000 I want to delete everything comes in between BB and FF( deletion... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

4. Programming

Counting characters, words, spaces, punctuations, etc.

I am very new to C programming. How could I write a C program that could count the characters, words, spaces, and punctuations in a text file? Any help will be really appreciated. I am doing this as part of my C learning exercise. Thanks, Ajay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get characters between two words

Guys, Here is the txt file... SLIC N0SLU704034789 rŒ° EJ00 ó<NL DMRG>11 100 4B 2 SLIC N0SLU704034789 rŒ° TJ10 <4000><NL> 2 SLIC N0SLU704034789 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Pattern to remove words with less than 2 characters.

Hello. I've been thinking about how to go about this. I know I'm close but still does not work. I need to remove any word in that is not at least 2 characters long. I've removed all the non-alphabetic characters already (numbers included). Here's an example: my $string = "This string is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the words in the file to the words that user type?

Hello, I would like to change my setting in a file to the setting that user input. For example, by default it is ONBOOT=ON When user key in "YES", it would be ONBOOT=YES -------------- This code only adds in the entire user input, but didn't replace it. How do i go about... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
lookbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							lookbib(1)

Name
       indxbib, lookbib - build inverted index for a bibliography, lookup bibliographic references

Syntax
       indxbib database...
       lookbib database

Description
       The  makes  an inverted index to the named databases (or files) for use by and These files contain bibliographic references (or other kinds
       of information) separated by blank lines.

A bibliographic reference is a set of lines, constituting fields of bibliographic information.  Each field starts on a line beginning  with
       a  ``%'',  followed  by	a key-letter, then a blank, and finally the contents of the field, which may continue until the next line starting
       with ``%''.

The command is a shell script that calls and The first program, truncates words to 6 characters, and maps upper case  to  lower	case.	It
       also  discards words shorter than 3 characters, words among the 100 most common English words, and numbers (dates) < 1900 or > 2000.  These
       parameters can be changed.  The second program, inv, creates an entry file (.ia), a posting file (.ib), and a tag file (.ic),  all  in  the
       working directory.

The command uses an inverted index made by to find sets of bibliographic references.  It reads keywords typed after the ``>'' prompt on the
       terminal, and retrieves records containing all these keywords.  If nothing matches, nothing is returned except another ``>'' prompt.

It is possible to search multiple databases, as long as they have a common index made by In that case, only the first argument given to	is
       specified to

If  does  not  find the index files (the .i[abc] files), it looks for a reference file with the same name as the argument, without the suf-
       fixes.  It creates a file with a '.ig' suffix, suitable for use with It then uses this fgrep file to find references.  This method is  sim-
       pler to use, but the .ig file is slower to use than the .i[abc] files, and does not allow the use of multiple reference files.

Files
       x.ia, x.ib, x.ic, where x is the first argument, or if these are not present, then x.ig, x

See Also
       addbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1),

lookbib(1)