Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change only the name of a variable Post 302458961 by agama on Saturday 2nd of October 2010 11:40:02 PM
Old 10-03-2010
Assuming that all alpha characters, all digits, the underbar (_) and dot (.) can be considered a part of a file name, this might be what you need:

Code:
sed -E 's/([^a-zA-Z0-9_.])z([^a-zA-Z0-9_.])/\1foo\2/g' src-file >output

Replace foo with whatever you need z to be replaced with. You may need to change the -E to -r if you are not using the sed that is Berkeley based or a part of the AT&T AST tool set.

I included the dot character as I assume that things like object.z() was not to have the z replaced. This works on the sample you provided, at least as far as I was willing to eyeball, so it hasn't been completely verified.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change the variable in the file

Hi all, I have problem regarding how to change the quantity in the file. I will explain you by an example. I have one file whose name is sample. The content of file are as follows: sample ----------------------------------------------------------- 1 334 3562 2345 5324 85657 75666 845 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aniket
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable name change in a loop

I need to do something like this:for I in var1 var2 var3 ; do $I = "Something calculated inside the loop" doneObviously it doesn't work...but is it possible doing that in other ways? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I change a variable to something only if it's empty?

I feel like it is just a matter of using the $ operators correctly, but I can't seem to get it... hostname="network" ip="192.168.1.1" netmask="" variables=( $hostname $ip $netmask ) for var in ${variables} do if ; then $var="--" fi done echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etranman1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the filename variable value

Hi guys, I have a variable where i am storing the filename (with full path). I just need the value before ".txt". But instead of getting the filename i am getting the contents of the filename. FileName=/appl/data/Input/US/Test.txt a=`awk -F"." '{print $1}' ${FileName}` echo $a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Variable Value from Multiple Scripts and Use these Variable

Hi to All, Please find below details. file_config.config export file1_status="SUCCESS" export file2_status="SUCCESS" file_one.sh I am calling another two shell script from these script. I need to pass individual two script status (If it's "FAILED") to file_main.sh. file_main.sh I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't change the value of my variable!

I made this HEADMAKER variable to pull the header from the first file in the loop, but then to stop so it doesn't override the file with later loops. However, I CANNOT get it to reassign the value of my variable away from "FIRST". I have also tried it with 1 and 0, and with and without quotes and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crankymonkey
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the value of variable in a file

Hi Friends, I have shell script file1.sh which has reference to enviornment file called Content of filenev.sh SKIP_FLAG=N ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle/database My requirement is to change the value of SKIP_FLAG to Y in filenv.sh from file1.sh. Could anyone please help me to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Date in Variable

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. I am extracting a date from a file that is in DD/MM/YYYY format using... expiry_date=`echo ${line}| awk -F, '{ print $4 }' | tr -d '\r'` What I need to do is amend the value so instead of getting 30/12/2016 I end up with 12/30/2016. I have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: theref
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change variable value

I have big XML which i want to change all VERSIONNUMBER equal to 1,in existing file values of VERSIONNUMBER will be different as below now i want to change all VERSIONNUMBER values qual to 1.Please help me which will convert versionnumber values. <SHORTCUT OBJECTSUBTYPE ="" OBJECTTYPE ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
5 Replies
SESSION_UNREGISTER(3)							 1						     SESSION_UNREGISTER(3)

session_unregister - Unregister a global variable from the current session

SYNOPSIS
bool session_unregister (string $name) DESCRIPTION
session_unregister(3) unregisters the global variable named $name from the current session. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0 and REMOVED as of PHP 5.4.0. PARAMETERS
o $name - The variable name. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Note If $_SESSION (or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS for PHP 4.0.6 or less) is used, use unset(3) to unregister a session variable. Do not unset(3)$_SESSION itself as this will disable the special function of the $_SESSION superglobal. Caution This function does not unset the corresponding global variable for $name, it only prevents the variable from being saved as part of the session. You must call unset(3) to remove the corresponding global variable. Caution If you are using $_SESSION (or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS), do not use session_register(3), session_is_registered(3) and session_unregis- ter(3). PHP Documentation Group SESSION_UNREGISTER(3)