Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing a file name and add a number Post 302458700 by rudoraj on Friday 1st of October 2010 12:43:10 PM
Old 10-01-2010
parsing a file name and add a number

Hi,

I have a file po8282.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt . I want to parse the first field which is separated by "." and then find the number and add 1 to it.

here is what I am doing to get the first field, but not sure how to only pick the number and add 1 to it
Code:
file_nm=po8282.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt 

echo $file | cut -d'.' -f1  ( this is get me po8282 )
now I want to add 1 to 8282 and so it becomes 8283

my new file name will be
Code:
po8283.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt

here are some scenarios
Code:
input: po8282.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt 
output: po8283.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt 

input: po828255.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt 
output: po828256.fmt998.fbi.mopac.x.macs.btt.txt

can this be done by a single command if possible?

Thanks

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-01-2010 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Correcting code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add the number of row and count number of rows

Hi experts a have a very large file and I need to add two columns: the first one numbering the incidence of records and the another with the total count The input file: 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 4567 A 21 4567 A 21 4567 C ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: juelillo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text/number parsing

Hello I have a file that contains 10 rows as below: "ID" "DP" "ID=GRMZM2G015073_T01" "23.6044288292005" "ID=GRMZM2G119852_T01" "59.7782287606723" "ID=GRMZM2G100242_T02" "61.4167813736184" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T01" "6.63061838134219" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T02" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_novice
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add serial number begining of each line in a text file

Dear All, i am having text file below rama 123 done raju 456 not done keshav 123 done ............... ............ i want to add a serial number to this file, the output should be 1 rama 123 done 2 raju 456 not done 3 keshav 123 done 99 ............... 100 ............ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing characters and number from a big file with brackets

I have a big file with many brackets () in it from which I need to parse number characters and numbers. Below is an example of my file 14 (((A__0:0.02,B__1:0.3)0:0.04,C__0:0.025)2:0.01),(D__0:0.00978,E__2:0.01031)1:0.00362; 15... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first number of each line in a file with another number

Hi, I have a set of files in a directory that I have to read and replace the first occurrence of a number with another dummy number. This is what I have so far but it does not seem to work. The files have lot of other data in each row and each data element is separated by ,@, for file in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing log file and print latest number in loop

Hello All, I have an awk script which parses my log file and prints number grepping from a specific line/pattern, now i have to come with a shell script to continue reading the log untill the job is completed, which i would know while reading session log untill process encounters a final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add number of fields throughout file together?

So, I have three problems that cover this subject. First one asks me to find the number of fields in the file that contain the substring "he". I found the number of fields, but the problem I have is that they are displaying by each record. I want to add all of the records' fields together. With... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mc10
2 Replies
ARD-PARSE-BOARDS(1)					      General Commands Manual					       ARD-PARSE-BOARDS(1)

NAME
ard-parse-boards - Read data from the Arduino boards.txt file USAGE
Dump all the data in the file: $ ard-parse-boards --dump See which boards we know about: $ ard-parse-boards --boards Look for a particular board... $ ard-parse-boards --find uno multiple terms are implicitly ANDed: $ ard-parse-boards --find duemil 328 Dump all the data for a particular board: $ ard-parse-boards atmega328 Extract a particular field: $ ard-parse-boards atmega328 build.f_cpu DESCRIPTION
The Arduino software package ships with a boards.txt file which tells the Arduino IDE details about particular hardware. So when the user says he's got a shiny new Arduino Uno, boards.txt knows that it has a 16MHz ATmega328 on it. It would be nice to access these data from the command line too. In normal operation you simply specify the tag given to the board in the boards.txt file, and optionally a field name. This program then extracts the data to STDOUT. Most boards have names which are quite unwieldy, so we always refer to a board by a tag, not its name. Strictly the tag is the bit before the first dot in the boards.txt key. You can see a list of board tags and names with the "--boards" option. OPTIONS
--boards_txt=[file] Specify the full path to the boards.txt file. The following options all disable the normal 'lookup' operation. --dump Dump the complete database in YAML format. --boards Print a list of the tag and name of every board in the file. --find [query] <query> ... Find matching data. Strictly, return a list of values which match all of the query terms, treating each term as a case-insensitive regexp. For example: --find 328 List data containing 328 (anywhere in the value). --find due List data containing 'due' (e.g. duemilanove). --find 328 due List data containing both 328 and due. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
There are no known bugs in this application. Please report problems to the author. Patches are welcome. AUTHOR
Martin Oldfield, ex-atelier@mjo.tc Thanks to Mark Sproul who suggested doing something like this to me ages ago. LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011, Martin Oldfield. All rights reserved. This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. MAY 2012 ARD-PARSE-BOARDS(1)