Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to modify an iso image file Post 302458416 by chebarbudo on Thursday 30th of September 2010 05:09:05 PM
Old 09-30-2010
Hi Corona688 and thanks for your concern.

What I'm trying to do is too make a Debian instalation USB key unattended.

o I want to pre-answer questions like language, name, packges, partitionning, etc...
o I want to store those answer in a file (I guess) on the USB key
o I want to modify the boot process to start installing using the answer file

Cheers
Santiago

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Mounting an ISO image on Solaris

Many software packages can be downloaded in the form of an ISO image. ISO images can also be created from CD and saved as ISO images: $ cat /dev/somecd > somename.iso Rather than burning the image to a CD-ROM to access its contents, it is easy to mount the image directly into the filesystem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need iso image on CD_ROM of 9.01 to 9.07 HPUX How do I get one

There is a HP APPOLLO series 700 workstation where I am working that runs some CAD/CAM software. The department has not upgraded, backup, or done anything with the box. They have been using it this way for years. It doesn't boot up now, seems like probably bad drive. It would be nice to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: camsoft
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount iso image

I would like to mount an iso CD image on my Suse linux (SLES 9), the image has been copied to my suse linux machine. am able to mount the iso image manually by mount -oloop /iso/SLES-9-i386-CD1.iso /free but I would like to put the above entry in /etc/fstab so that when the machine is rebooted,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan1
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Writing ISO image to CD

I want to install Ubuntu 7.10 and I have ISO image ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso . How can I convert to a bootable CD on linux or on windows. Thanks, J. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: superuser84
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Create an ISO image of whole system

Hi All, Please help me with this. My plan is to create an ISO image of my current solaris 8 OS.Because we use a stripped out version of solaris 8 which is different than the standard one in CD. Will dd command will do ? My idea is to create a VMware image from iso file and play it in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
6 Replies

6. AIX

How to mount an ISO image in AIX 5.2

Hi, Could anyone let me know how to mount an ISO image in AIX 5.2 ? --SaiP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saip
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX ISO image file

Hi all, Can anyone get the link to download the iso image of AIX as i am new to AIX need to study and work on the concepts of AIX. Thnx in advance... VINU:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinuvinod
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris ISO image

Hi All, Can anyone give me the lnik to download the iso image file Solaris 10 . I need to install it on my local machine . Pls help me out. VINU (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinuvinod
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to make boot.iso image from rhel6 installation dvd iso ?

Hello Everyone, Can anyone let me know how to make minimal boot.iso from rhl6 installation dvd iso image. I have a dvd image with me but i want to make just a minimal boot media. Somehow it is not shipped with dvd iso. I know we can download boot.iso from redhat site but is there any anyway we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
5 Replies

10. Solaris

How to Create ISO Image of a CD/DVD in Solaris 10?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, How can I create an ISO Image of a CD/DVD from the cdrom to a temporary directory, and then use that image to burn it on a blank DVD in the cdrom in Solaris 10 1/13 OS environment? Please provide me with an example. With best regards, SS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssabet
1 Replies
Device::USB::FAQ(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Device::USB::FAQ(3pm)

NAME
Device::USB::FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions for Device::USB SYNOPSIS
perldoc Device::USB::FAQ DESCRIPTION
This is an attempt to answer some of the frequently asked questions about the Device::USB module QUESTIONS
Which platforms does Device::USB support? "Device:USB" supports any platform that "libusb" supports. This list currently includes Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, and MacOS X. There is a port of the "libusb" library to the Windows environment called "LibUsb-Win32". Because I don't have a development environment for testing this library, "Device::USB" does not yet support this library. Do I have to use Device::USB as root? By default, access to the USB devices on a Unix-based system appear to be limited to the root account. This usually causes access to most of the "libusb" features to fail with a permission error. Using the "Device::USB" module as root avoids this feature, but is not very satisfying from a security standpoint. (See the next question for more options.) How do I enable use of Device::USB as a non-root user? Some of the attributes of USB devices are available to non-root users, but accessing many of the more interesting features require special privileges. According to the libusb source, the "open()" function requires either device nodes to be present or the usbfs file system to be mounted in specific locations. Those places in order are: 1) /dev/bus/usb - pre-2.6.11: via devfs / post-2.6.11: via udev 2) /proc/bus/usb - usbfs Look in both locations on your system for which of these two methods your libusb will use. No matter which method your system uses, you will probably want to create a separate group to control access. Run this command to add a system group: addgroup --system usb or groupadd --system usb You can then add users to that group to allow access to your usb devices. DEVFS / HOTPLUG TODO UDEV If you use Debian/Ubuntu, look in the /etc/udev/permissions.rules file. If you want to allow global access to all usb devices, make this change: Change this: SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664" To this: SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664", GROUP="usb" After you reboot, all usb devices will inherit the mode and group specified. If you want to only change permissions for certain devices, you can add this on one line and adjust the product and vendor IDs: SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GROUP="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1234", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1234" USBFS The usbfs defaults to root as the user and group. This can be changed in the /etc/fstab by adding the following on one line: none /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto, listuid=0,listgid=118,listmode=0664, busuid=0,busgid=118,busmode=0775, devuid=0,devgid=118,devmode=0664 0 0 The value 118 in the above should be replaced with the group id of your usb group (created above). The list* values are to allow listing devices, the bus* is to control access to the bus directories and the dev* values control access to the device files. This approach does not allow the kind of granular permission that the udev approach gives, so it is all or nothing unless permissions are changed programmatically. If your /etc/fstab file already has a line for /proc/bus/usb, add the options above to the line that is already there rather than adding the new line. For example, you would change usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0 to usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto, listuid=0,listgid=118,listmode=0664, busuid=0,busgid=118,busmode=0775, devuid=0,devgid=118,devmode=0664 0 0 Once again, this needs to be all on one line with the "" characters removed. SEE ALSO
Device::USB and the "libusb" library site at <http://libusb.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
G. Wade Johnson (wade at anomaly dot org) Paul Archer (paul at paularcher dot org) Houston Perl Mongers Group ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Thanks go to various users who submitted questions and answers for the list. In particular, Anthony L. Awtrey who contributed the first FAQ answer. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2006 Houston Perl Mongers This document is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2006-09-03 Device::USB::FAQ(3pm)