Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cygwin permission problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cygwin permission problem Post 302458286 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 30th of September 2010 09:57:13 AM
Old 09-30-2010
The + signifies an ACL. ACL's control file access, too.

getfacl will show you what is going on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

terminal type problem with cygwin on aix

hey, I use cygwin to connect to AIX 5.2 but when I open vi I get an error saying: ex: 0602-108 cygwin is not a recognized terminal type how can I fix that? I thought cygwin was tty vt100? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rein
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cygwin problem

Hi, I have install cygwin in my PC which is having Windows-XP. I am able to run c programm successfully using gcc compiler but when i am running c++ program it is giving the following error: $ gcc abc.cpp /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/cclwkyqD.o:abc.cpp:(.text+0xd): unde... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri_agr
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with cygwin

hi... i'm working on windows xp currently but i have to work on linux. the problem is there is no internet in linux OS so i decided to use cygwin which (i was told) can be used for unix based commands to an extent in windows.i have to write c-programs and i'm using emacs as editor and g++... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raya_g
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin installation problem

hihi, im new here. just start to use cygwin as unix-based in Windows XP. my installation of cygwin is not success, it has procedure entry_impure_ptr problem due with ash.exe, install_info.exe, and In-exe files. do anyone know why is that so? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suraine
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cygwin and remote find command problem

Sir, I want to get all the files in directory on a remote server which are dated newer than a specified file. I have ssh running and the command I am using is : for file_name in `ssh userid@IP find "/cygdrive/d/oracle/oradata/db/archive" -newer "1_44.DBF" -name '*.DBF' -type f -print | xargs -r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakod1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cygwin script problem windows

I'm using cygwin to make some scripts,but I have the following problem. If I create a simple script like this one: if echo "Error" exit 1 fi echo "`expr $1 + $2`" I obtain line 6: syntax error:unexpected end of file. If I create the same script with cat>filename.txt and execute it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max89
4 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Problem compiling C++ Code in Cygwin

Hello everyone. I just recently installed Cygwin and I am running it under Windows 7. My problem is that I cannot seem to compile any C++ code with g++. I've tried to compile C Code using gcc and that works just fine. But Whenever I try to compile some C++ code, g++ throws a whole bunch of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anlex
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin vi XML file encoding problem

Hi, I have got a zip (binary) file transferred from MacOS (thus it has additional __MACOSX directory packed inside). On extracting this zip, there are few *.xml files available. When I opened this *.xml file in vim editor using Cygwin (on windows) the editor displayed in the bottom. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in cygwin

Hi All, I am using cygwin 2.697. When i was working with LAN its working fine. But when i am trying to working via ( Aventail Smart Tunnel), It close after 20 mins. But Exceed-10 is working fine, but it take more resource and its not freeware. so kindly help me in this regards. I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin setup old package problem.

Hi there, I am in need to compile an old project for cygwin, but it needs some old packages to compile. I tried to download the x86 setup.exe from cygwin web site. Then downloaded the old packages from various sites and put it in an empty directory I run the setup.exe file and install from local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
1 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod [ -Rf ] mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for all, or ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), X (set execute only if file is a directory or some other execute bit is set), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Letters u, g, or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. When the -R option is given, chmod recursively descends its directory arguments setting the mode for each file as described above. When symbolic links are encountered, their mode is not changed and they are not traversed. If the -f option is given, chmod will not complain if it fails to change the mode on a file. EXAMPLES
The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable by all if it is executable by anyone: chmod o-w file chmod +X file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2), chown(8) 7th Edition May 22, 1986 CHMOD(1)