Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Oracle memory usage on Solaris box Post 302458243 by radoulov on Thursday 30th of September 2010 07:24:13 AM
Old 09-30-2010
Thanks.
Could you please post the output of the following modified command:
Code:
ps -uoracle -opid= |
  xargs 2>/dev/null pmap -x |
    nawk 'END {
      for (p in priv) 
        printf "process: %s\n\t\tshared: %d KB\n\t\ttot private: %d KB\n", \
          p, shm[p], priv[p]        
      }
    /^[0-9]*:/ { 
      if (/ora/) {
        proc = "oracle"
        next
        }
      if (/asm/)    
        proc = "asm"
        next        
      }
     /total/ {  
      $NF == "-" || shm[proc] = $NF
        priv[proc] += $5 
      }'

And this one:

Code:
ipcs -a

---------- Post updated at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:17 PM ----------

Just a quick recap:
the general memory drill down is clear:

Code:
Page Summary                Pages                MB  %Tot
------------     ----------------  ----------------  ----
Kernel                     572519              4472   14%
Anon                      3087015             24117   75%
Exec and libs               64314               502    2%
Page cache                   9661                75    0%
Free (cachelist)           340233              2658    8%
Free (freelist)             28226               220    1%

Total                     4101968             32046
Physical                  4096728             32005

We have:

- 14% of memory used by the kernel
- 2% executables and libraries
- ~ 9% - free memory

Now we want to know where and how the remaining 75%/24GB of memory are used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Memory usage in the box

Hello: Environment is: Oracle 817 on IBM RS/6000 AIX 433 I have 4GB RAM on the box and Page/Swap is about the same. Presently I am using close to 1GB of RAM towards 5 instances of ORACLE production environments. How can I know, how much of memory/RAM is used for : Oracle Processes , I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

oracle process and LWP on solaris 8 box

Hi all, Without oracle tunning I understand that oracle processes always run on a single CPU at a time (the prstat output always show 1 CPU number) even on multi-processor hardware. Is it correct? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solea
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comman/Tool to check memory leak in solaris box

Hello Guys, Please let me know about commands or tools that are available to check memory leak in solaris box. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshlbryan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory usage : kernel, oracle, other users

Hello, I'm looking for a command or script that could permit me to know what is memory usage group by HP-UX kernel, oracle processes and other users (specific software). A command like 'top' but for all processes and not only for 12 max could be very useful Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thierryUX
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage in Solaris - memory not freed?

Hi, I'm running a multi-process software system on a Solaris 8 machine. When I monitor the memory usage, I see that the free memory is dropping rapidly, but I can't detect a process that uses this memory. I'm using "top" to get the free memory and the memory usage of processes. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gewurtz
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Memory usage in a Solaris Container

Hi All, We have a server with Solaris 10 installed. The total memory of the server is 64GB. In order to check the memory info of the server I use "top" utility that gives me total and free memory in real-time. I have also installed a Sun container (non-global zone) on top of parent operating... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slayer
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Memory usage by oracle, java

Hello Gurus, In Office, I have unix Solaris Server. Oracle and Java is installed on Solaris Server. Oracle when starts then oracle loads SGA, PGA memory and graps solaris server memory. In the same manner java and other applications grabs memory for them. I want memory distribution of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: get_chandrakant
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris memory usage

One of my Solaris Unix server has total RAM 128G . top & vmstat command shows free memory is 86G and usage is 42G. ps -eo pid,rss,commshows memory usage by process. when i sum all the memory usage by the process, it shows 1.9TB as shown below. $ ps -eo pid,pmem,vsz,rss,comm | sort -rnk2 |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baladelaware73
5 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find out the memory usage in Solaris?

Hi All, In one of the solaris box aslert got triggered as ... (Used_Real_Mem_Pct=93.0 Used_Swap_Space_Pct=75.0 )] when i see the usage by vmstat and sar i am not able to relate the alert with the free memory and swap memory please help to understand the vmstat output as below.. kthr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
4 Replies
FREE(1) 							   User Commands							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - Display amount of free and used memory in the system SYNOPSIS
free [options] DESCRIPTION
free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap memory in the system, as well as the buffers and caches used by the ker- nel. The information is gathered by parsing /proc/meminfo. The displayed columns are: total Total installed memory (MemTotal and SwapTotal in /proc/meminfo) used Used memory (calculated as total - free) free Unused memory (MemFree and SwapFree in /proc/meminfo) shared Memory used (mostly) by tmpfs (Shmem in /proc/meminfo, available on kernels 2.6.32, displayed as zero if not available) buffers Memory used by kernel buffers (Buffers in /proc/meminfo) cached Memory used by the page cache (calculated as Cached - Shmem in /proc/meminfo - the Cached value is actually the sum of page cache and tmpfs memory) OPTIONS
-b, --bytes Display the amount of memory in bytes. -k, --kilo Display the amount of memory in kilobytes. This is the default. -m, --mega Display the amount of memory in megabytes. -g, --giga Display the amount of memory in gigabytes. --tera Display the amount of memory in terabytes. -h, --human Show all output fields automatically scaled to shortest three digit unit and display the units of print out. Following units are used. B = bytes K = kilos M = megas G = gigas T = teras If unit is missing, and you have petabyte of RAM or swap, the number is in terabytes and columns might not be aligned with header. -c, --count count Display the result count times. Requires the -s option. -l, --lohi Show detailed low and high memory statistics. -o, --old Display the output in old format, the only difference being this option will disable the display of the "buffer adjusted" line. -s, --seconds seconds Continuously display the result delay seconds apart. You may actually specify any floating point number for delay, usleep(3) is used for microsecond resolution delay times. --si Use power of 1000 not 1024. -t, --total Display a line showing the column totals. --help Print help. -V, --version Display version information. FILES
/proc/meminfo memory information SEE ALSO
ps(1), slabtop(1), top(1), vmstat(8). AUTHORS
Written by Brian Edmonds. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng September 2011 FREE(1)