Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a pattern in a log file Post 302457932 by Tuxidow on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 05:54:59 AM
Old 09-29-2010
Search a pattern in a log file

I have file which gets updated every minute/second. Is it possible in shell scripting that I can search for some pattern infinitely in this file and if it finds that pattern, alert the user.

A sample of log file is below. The following file is getting updated every second. I want to alert the admin if it finds a "logout" each time. In simple words a kind of monitoring.

Code:
1234:login
234566:login
123456:logout

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Search date pattern in application log file

I am viewing a file in vi editor and would like to search for a date pattern. In the log, the timestamp is enclosed in parentheses ''. I am using the '/' option in vi to search for the pattern. log snippet: 000000f4 ServletWrappe I SRVE0242I: : Initialization successful. 000000f4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vangogh78
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern search for multiple log files and counting

I have 10 appservers and each appserver has 4 jvms . Each of these logs is archived and stored on a nfs directory . For example the files are /logs/200907/ap1-jvm1.server.log.20090715.gz /logs/200907/ap2-jvm2.server.log.20090714.gz /logs/200908/ap1-jvm1.server.log.20090812.gz I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search for a pattern in 30 minutes from a log file

Hello All, I have to write a script which will search for diffrent patterns like "Struck" "Out of Memory" , etc from a log file in Linux box's. Now I will be executing a cron job to find out the results by executing the script once in every 30 minutes. suppose time is 14-04-29:05:31:09 So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shubhasis Mathr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search pattern in file?

Hi I want to search pattern in file "S12345678B" which start with S and end with B total length is 10,numeric part 12345678 is variable. e.g S99001229B and S88226901B. please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashfaque
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search pattern in File

Hi I want to search pattern in file "S12345678B" which start with S and end with B total length is 10,numeric part 12345678 is variable. e.g S99001229B and S88226901B. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashfaque
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies
LOGIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  LOGIN(3)

NAME
login, logout, logwtmp -- login utility functions (DEPRECATED) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> void login(struct utmp *ut); int logout(const char *line); void logwtmp(const char *line, const char *name, const char *host); DESCRIPTION
The login(), logout(), and logwtmp() functions are DEPRECATED; use pututxline(3) instead. These functions operate on the database of current users in /var/run/utmpx and the system log file. Superuser permission is required. The login() function updates the /var/run/utmpx files with user information contained in ut (after converting to a struct utmpx, as described in pututxline(3)). The logout() function removes the entry from /var/run/utmpx corresponding to the device line. The logwtmp() function adds an entry to the system log file. Since login() will add the appropriate entry during a login, logwtmp() is usu- ally used for logouts. RETURN VALUES
logout() returns non-zero if it was able to find and delete an entry for line, and zero if there is no entry for line in /var/run/utmpx. However, there is no error indication due to lack of permissions. FILES
/dev/* /var/run/utmpx SEE ALSO
pututxline(3), utmp(5), utmpx(5) BSD
December 14, 1995 BSD