Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to a find a file in which path it is there? Post 302457861 by bhavesh.sapra on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 01:56:31 AM
Old 09-29-2010
Hammer & Screwdriver

find / -name "filename" -type f

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file in sub-directories.. o/p just the path

Hello All, I am somehow stumped with this ting. 'Find' will sure show me.. but I want only thepath of all the occurences of the file in any of the sub-dirs.. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to find the file with full path

Hi, I have written this shell script: fl=`ls -1lrt $mylist | grep '\.xml$' | awk '{print $9}'` echo $fl (1) for i in $fl do for dir in $mylist do if then echo $dir/$i >> tmp (2) fi done done The mylist contains some directory names. The satement (1) gives the sorted list... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find the path of a file

What is the command to find the path of a file if we know the file name and the root directory where the file resides.. For eg. if a file abc.dat resides in /home/mydir/myfiles/. I am looking for a command which will be fired from / directory, takes abc.dat as input and display the path of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the path of a file?

Hi all, Is there any way to find the the path of a file? I mean executable files and just anyother file we can think of? i know of one cmd called which $which mount /usr/bin/mount this is fine, but "mount" is a cmd not a file that can be searched eg: say i have created a text file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a path of a specific file

Hi, A variable value is /home/samir/datas/data.txt I want /home/samir/datas. How can I get that. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: samir_standing
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find unix path to a file?

I know this is very newbie ... but I need help determining the proper file path to file...Have no idea how to do this I'm on a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard thanks very much (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmarc
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find exact path of a file/directory

Hello Folks, A wrapper takes an argument of file or directory name. I want to allow paths that reside within the current directory only. Can simply discard the paths like "/A" & "../" as they go outside the current by looking at the path beginning. How to validate this one: A/../../../b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find zero byte file but don't need path

Just i want to ask How to search and display name of zero byte file I have used find command but it is showing complete file path Thanks find . -size 0 giving me zero byte file with location 1)/home/user/a (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and set path in variable?

Hi Folks - I was wondering if you could help convert batch code in Linux? For instance, I use the following piece of code in DOS to find a file/executable, and then the FULL path as a variable. ::-- If startMaxl.exe exists, set full path --:: for %%D in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
4 Replies
test(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  test(1F)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and if its value is true, sets a 0 (TRUE) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (FALSE) exit status is set; test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to test. Normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than 0. -t[fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is 0. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). `(expression)` Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 test(1F)