Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Unix Shell background processing Post 302457729 by Mercfh on Tuesday 28th of September 2010 04:23:07 PM
Old 09-28-2010
here's an example of what im talking about.
myshell> ls -a
. .. a.out fork.c Hello .hi shell shell.c
myshell> ls -l
total 36
-rwxr-xr-x 1 matt matt 8435 2010-09-26 20:43 a.out
-rw-r--r-- 1 matt matt 943 2010-09-26 20:44 fork.c
drwxr-xr-x 2 matt matt 4096 2010-09-27 02:13 Hello
-rwxr-xr-x 1 matt matt 8322 2010-09-28 16:21 shell
-rw-r--r-- 1 matt matt 1693 2010-09-28 16:21 shell.c
myshell> ls &
myshell> a.out fork.c Hello shell shell.c
ls -a
myshell> . .. a.out fork.c Hello .hi shell shell.c
<---- here is where the "pointer" ends up. i can still type commands, but it doesn't show "myshell>" anymore

I tried the fprintf(stderr, "hello world\n"); thing. but it didn't work, it only happens when the & happens for some reason...

Looking at my code it should go like this.

parse arg. which prints out myshell>
User inputs commands<---
parse arg parses it.

so we have myshell> ls -l
so we execute it. which goes on a newline (apparently) (since BG is 0) and we wait for it to finish.
we then go back in the loop and myshell is printed again.

But with &....it goes back to parse arg (since we can still type things in, and they work) but myshell> isn't printed....which makes zero sense. Im looking at my code, tracing through....and I just dont see why this is happening, even when we aren't "waiting" the the process to finish, it should still loop back around to the parsearg function which has the myshell> printout.

It seems like typing in the & for SOME reason....like...screws all my printouts up.

edit: I think I may know why now.....im not resetting the BG bool to false, so it's treating them all as "background" processes i think........

edit2: CRAP nevermind, i realize im never setting BG permanently, oh well there goes that theory.

Last edited by Mercfh; 09-28-2010 at 06:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background for unix

Hi, I am a newbie learing Unix , I have started with teh book "the Design of the Unix OS" by Bach.After which I plan to read "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard Stevens. What is the background that one needs to learn unix. I know C. But I am not sure about my Operating Systems... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background shell script

I have a friend at work that asked me a question today and I figured I would seek help here. How does a shell script know whether it is running in the background or not? Thanks in advance for help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moofasa
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

5. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to log file processing details to database table usnig UNIX shell script?

we are getting files on daily basis.we need to process these files. i need a unix shell script where we can count 1-The no of files processed 2-No of data/record processed for each files. The script should log these details into a database table. If there is any error while file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atul kumar
3 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep utility suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. It is usually used to schedule the execution of other commands (see EXAMPLES below). Note: The NetBSD sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds. This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits with one of the following values: 0 On successful completion, or if the signal SIGALRM was received. >0 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for 1800 seconds later: (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait half an hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (*.rawdata) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
at(1), nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
August 13, 2011 BSD