Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple grep script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple grep script Post 302457583 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 28th of September 2010 10:16:50 AM
Old 09-28-2010
Give us a small sample of the log file -- /var/log/secure.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple grep question

I have seen this used several times but not really sure of what it actually does. I am confused with the second grep as the argument to the first. some commands | grep -v grep | some other commands Can anyone provide an explanation? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple grep Question

I tried searching for answers but didn't find any. When I grep a file results read 4.2.2.2 4.4.4.2 4.5.6.7 But I just want to select each result individually. For Example I want to be able to say variable1="first grep result" variable2="second grep result" variable3="third grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple grep is not working for me

Hi, On the log Netscape log, I need to grep for 500 error. I am doing that but I also get 1500 in that same log. cat access |grep "500" Results: "GET /css/RBR.css HTTP/1.1" 200 15000 304 - - - 399 639 523 164 0 This not what I need... Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with IF - CAT - GREP in simple shell script

Hi all, Here is my requirement I have to search 'ORA' word in out.log file,if it is present then i need to send that file (out.log) content to some mail id.If 'ORA' word is not in that file then i need to send 'load succesful' message to some mail id. The below the shell script is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mak_boop
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep question

This should be so easy... I want to find all the apps in /Applications that start with the lower case i (e.g. iTunes.app, iSync.app, iCal.app) They should all have the .app extension. I've tried: ls /Applications |grep -o i*.app ls /Applications/i*.app Anyhow, I just want to see what apps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script to Grep

Hi guys, I have written this script, however the outcome is invalid. It contains grep search that is not needed: Script: #!/bin/bash #this is a test script FILES=$(ls /home/student/bin/dir1/*) GREPFUNC=$(grep -E -i "login|Successfully" ORProxyTC`date '+%m%d%Y'`*.txt/ ${FILES})... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple grep command

I am currently having a problem with displaying multiple occurences of a line using grep/sed combination. Let's say that I do grep "$anything" $file. When I do this it only displays a single line, but if I do grep -c "$anything" $file it says that there are 3 occurences of $anything, but how can... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple RegEx on grep

Hello, I am trying to grep my log files for ORA errors, except ORA-00001. I have tried: grep 'ORA*!(-00001)' *.log but it is not working. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep question

I hope someone can help me. I have a folder e.g. /opt/application Under that are many sub folders e.g. Folder1 Folder2 Folder3 Folder4 Folder5 Folder6 etc In some of these fodlers (not all of them) is a file called errors.log I need to run a grep that will start at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnahafta
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)