Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find particular string in multiple files Post 302457538 by sivaranga001 on Tuesday 28th of September 2010 08:39:30 AM
Old 09-28-2010
thanks for quick reply-but it was not showing complete path

Hello
Thanks for quick reply.

I want a bit clear ,it was showing like below.
./.subversion/servers so how can i go to that path.

Thanks in Advance.
I am waiting for ur reply.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files with in the current directory.

Hello friends, Plz suggest the find command, How to search a string in a paticular string in miltiple files with current dirctory.:) Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath Ch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to find match from multiple string if statement

I'm trying to create what (should be) a simple bash script that will pull computer name and use that info to bind to one of three servers. Is there any way to do this without having a text file with the names of the servers and associated computer names? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobsbigbro1
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and then return the next 20 characters in multiple files

Hello all, I have a directory with 2000+ files. I need to look in each file for an invoice number. To identify this, i can search for the string 'BIG' and then retrieve the next 30 characters. I was thinking awk for this, but not sure how to do it. Each file contains one long string and in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdinero
8 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)