Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find particular string in multiple files Post 302457531 by sivaranga001 on Tuesday 28th of September 2010 08:25:14 AM
Old 09-28-2010
thanks for quick reply -getting some error

Thanks for reply.
the following error is coming:

find: cannot open .-type: No such file or directory
find: cannot open f: No such file or directory
will please let me know any other alternative is there.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files with in the current directory.

Hello friends, Plz suggest the find command, How to search a string in a paticular string in miltiple files with current dirctory.:) Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath Ch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to find match from multiple string if statement

I'm trying to create what (should be) a simple bash script that will pull computer name and use that info to bind to one of three servers. Is there any way to do this without having a text file with the names of the servers and associated computer names? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobsbigbro1
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and then return the next 20 characters in multiple files

Hello all, I have a directory with 2000+ files. I need to look in each file for an invoice number. To identify this, i can search for the string 'BIG' and then retrieve the next 30 characters. I was thinking awk for this, but not sure how to do it. Each file contains one long string and in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdinero
8 Replies
lookbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							lookbib(1)

Name
       indxbib, lookbib - build inverted index for a bibliography, lookup bibliographic references

Syntax
       indxbib database...
       lookbib database

Description
       The  makes  an inverted index to the named databases (or files) for use by and These files contain bibliographic references (or other kinds
       of information) separated by blank lines.

A bibliographic reference is a set of lines, constituting fields of bibliographic information.  Each field starts on a line beginning  with
       a  ``%'',  followed  by	a key-letter, then a blank, and finally the contents of the field, which may continue until the next line starting
       with ``%''.

The command is a shell script that calls and The first program, truncates words to 6 characters, and maps upper case  to  lower	case.	It
       also  discards words shorter than 3 characters, words among the 100 most common English words, and numbers (dates) < 1900 or > 2000.  These
       parameters can be changed.  The second program, inv, creates an entry file (.ia), a posting file (.ib), and a tag file (.ic),  all  in  the
       working directory.

The command uses an inverted index made by to find sets of bibliographic references.  It reads keywords typed after the ``>'' prompt on the
       terminal, and retrieves records containing all these keywords.  If nothing matches, nothing is returned except another ``>'' prompt.

It is possible to search multiple databases, as long as they have a common index made by In that case, only the first argument given to	is
       specified to

If  does  not  find the index files (the .i[abc] files), it looks for a reference file with the same name as the argument, without the suf-
       fixes.  It creates a file with a '.ig' suffix, suitable for use with It then uses this fgrep file to find references.  This method is  sim-
       pler to use, but the .ig file is slower to use than the .i[abc] files, and does not allow the use of multiple reference files.

Files
       x.ia, x.ib, x.ic, where x is the first argument, or if these are not present, then x.ig, x

See Also
       addbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1),

lookbib(1)